- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 7. Warehouse Receipts, Bills of Lading, and Other Documents of Title
- Section 307. Lien of Carrier.
previous: Section 306
. Altered Bills of Lading.
next: Section 308
. Enforcement of Carrier's Lien.
AS 45.07.307. Lien of Carrier.
- (a) A carrier has a lien on the goods covered by a bill of lading for charges after the date of its receipt of the goods
for storage or transportation, including demurrage and terminal charges, and for expenses necessary for preservation of
the goods incident to their transportation or reasonably incurred in their sale pursuant to law. But against a
purchaser for value of a negotiable bill of lading, a carrier's lien is limited to charges stated in the bill or the
applicable tariffs, or if no charges are stated, then to a reasonable charge.
- (b) A lien for charges and expenses under (a) of this section on goods that the carrier was required by law to receive
for transportation is effective against the consignor or a person entitled to the goods unless the carrier had notice
that the consignor lacked authority to subject the goods to the charges and expenses. Any other lien under (a) of this
section is effective against the consignor and a person who permitted the bailor to have control or possession of the
goods unless the carrier had notice that the bailor lacked the authority.
- (c) A carrier loses the lien on goods that the carrier voluntarily delivers or unjustifiably refuses to deliver.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.