- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 5. Letters of Credit
- Section 102. Definitions.
previous: Section 101
. Short Title.
next: Section 103
AS 45.05.102. Definitions.
- (a) In this chapter,
- (1) "adviser" means a person who, at the request of the issuer, a confirmer, or another adviser, notifies or requests
another adviser to notify the beneficiary that a letter of credit has been issued, confirmed, or amended;
- (2) "applicant" means a person at whose request or for whose account a letter of credit is issued; "applicant" includes a
person who requests an issuer to issue a letter of credit on behalf of another if the person making the request
undertakes an obligation to reimburse the issuer;
- (3) "beneficiary" means a person who under the terms of a letter of credit is entitled to have the letter of credit's
complying presentation honored; "beneficiary" includes a person to whom drawing rights have been transferred under a
transferable letter of credit;
- (4) "confirmer" means a nominated person who undertakes, at the request or with the consent of the issuer, to honor a
presentation under a letter of credit issued by another;
- (5) "dishonor" of a letter of credit means the failure timely to honor or to take an interim action, such as acceptance of
a draft, that may be required by the letter of credit;
- (6) "document" means a draft or other demand, document of title, investment security, certificate, invoice, or other
record, statement, or representation of fact, law, right, or opinion that is
- (A) presented in a written or other medium permitted by the letter of credit or, unless prohibited by the letter of
credit, by the standard practice referred to in AS 45.05.108
- (B) capable of being examined for compliance with the terms and conditions of the letter of credit; and
- (C) not oral;
- (7) "good faith" means honesty in fact in the conduct or transaction concerned;
- (8) "honor" of a letter of credit means performance of the issuer's undertaking in the letter of credit to pay or deliver
an item of value; unless the letter of credit provides otherwise, "honor" occurs
- (A) upon payment;
- (B) if the letter of credit provides for acceptance, upon acceptance of a draft and, at maturity, its payment; or
- (C) if the letter of credit provides for incurring a deferred obligation, upon incurring the obligation and, at maturity,
- (9) "issuer" means a bank or other person that issues a letter of credit, but does not include an individual who makes an
engagement for personal, family, or household purposes;
- (10) "letter of credit" means a definite undertaking that satisfies the requirements of AS 45.05.104
by an issuer to a beneficiary at the request or for the account of an applicant, or, in the case of a financial
institution, to itself or for its own account, to honor a documentary presentation by payment or delivery of an item of
- (11) "nominated person" means a person whom the issuer
- (A) designates or authorizes to pay, accept, negotiate, or otherwise give value under a letter of credit; and
- (B) undertakes by agreement or custom and practice to reimburse;
- (12) "presentation" means delivery of a document to an issuer or nominated person for honor or giving of value under a
letter of credit;
- (13) "presenter" means a person making a presentation as or on behalf of a beneficiary or nominated person;
- (14) "record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium, or that is stored in an electronic or other medium
and is retrievable in perceivable form;
- (15) "successor of a beneficiary" means a person who succeeds to substantially all of the rights of a beneficiary by
operation of law, including a corporation with or into which the beneficiary has been merged or consolidated, an
administrator, an executor, a personal representative, a trustee in bankruptcy, a debtor in possession, a liquidator,
and a receiver.
- (b) The following definitions that apply to this chapter and the sections in which they appear are
- (1) "accept" or "acceptance" (AS 45.03.409
- (2) "value" (AS 45.03.303
and AS 45.04.211
- (c) AS 45.01 contains certain additional general definitions and
principles of construction and interpretation applicable throughout this chapter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.