- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 52. Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act
- Section 180. Restrictions On Employment After Leaving State Service.
previous: Section 170
. Outside Employment Restricted.
next: Section 190
. Aiding a Violation Prohibited.
AS 39.52.180. Restrictions On Employment After Leaving State Service.
- (a) A public officer who leaves state service may not, for two years after leaving state service, represent, advise, or
assist a person for compensation regarding a matter that was under consideration by the administrative unit served by
that public officer, and in which the officer participated personally and substantially through the exercise of
official action. For the purposes of this subsection, "matter" includes a case, proceeding, application, contract,
determination, proposal or consideration of a legislative bill, a resolution, a constitutional
amendment, or other legislative measures, or proposal, consideration, or adoption of an administrative regulations.
- (b) This section does not prohibit an agency from contracting with a former public officer to act on a matter on behalf of
- (c) The head of an agency may waive application of (a) of this section after determining that representation by a former
public officer is not adverse to the public interest. The waiver must be in writing and a copy of the waiver must be
provided to the attorney general for approval or disapproval.
- (d) An individual who formerly held a position listed in this subsection may not engage in
activity as a lobbyist under AS 24.45 for a period of one year
after leaving that position. This subsection does not prohibit service as a volunteer lobbyist described in AS 24.45.161
(a)(1) or a representational lobbyist as defined under regulations of the Alaska Public Offices Commission. This subsection applied
to the position of
- (1) governor;
- (2) lieutenant governor;
- (3) head or deputy head of a principal department in the executive branch;
- (4) director of a division or legislative liaison within a principal department in the executive branch;
- (5) legislative liaison, administrative assistant, or other employee of the Office of the Governor or
Office of the Lieutenant Governor in a policy-making position;
- (6) member of a state board or commission that has the authority to adopt regulations, other than a board
or commission named in AS 08.01.010;
- (7) member of the governing board and executive officer of a state public corporation.
- (e) A former head of a principal department in the executive branch may not, for a period of one
year after leaving service as the head of that department, serve on the governing board of a company, organization, or
other entity that was regulated by that department or with which the former department head worked as part of an official
duty as the department head. A former employee of the Office of the Governor in a policy-making position may not, for a
period of one year after leaving employment in that office, serve on the governing board of a company, organization, or
other entity with which the former employee worked as part of an official duty for the Office of the Governor.
- (f) In this section, "employee of the Office of the Governor in a policy-making position" means a
person who is an employee required, because of the person's position in the Office of the Governor, to file a statement
under AS 39.50.020 .
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.