- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 36. Public Contracts
- Chapter 5. Wages and Hours of Labor
- Section 45. Notice of Work and Completion; Withholding of Payment.
previous: Section 40
. Filing Schedule of Employees, Wages Paid, and Other Information.
next: Section 50
. Hours to Constitute Day's Work. [Repealed, Sec. 1 Ch 3 SLA 1973].
AS 36.05.045. Notice of Work and Completion; Withholding of Payment.
- (a) Before commencing work on a public construction contract, the person entering into the contract with a contracting
agency shall designate a primary contractor for purposes of this section. Before work commences, the primary contractor
shall file a notice of work with the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. The notice of work must list work
to be performed under the public construction contract by each contractor who will perform any portion of work on the
contract and the contract price being paid to each contractor. The primary contractor shall pay all filing fees for
each contractor performing work on the contract, including a filing fee based on the contract price being paid for work
performed by the primary contractor's employees. The filing fee payable shall be the sum of all fees calculated for
each contractor. The filing fee shall be one percent of each contractor's contract price. The total filing fee payable
by the primary contractor under this subsection may not exceed $5,000. There is no fee for a contract under which the
total amount payable by the contracting agency is less than $25,000. In this subsection, "contractor" means an employer
who is using employees to perform work on the public construction contract under the contract or a subcontract.
- (b) Upon completion of all work on the public construction contract, the primary contractor shall file with the Department
of Labor and Workforce Development a notice of completion together with payment of any additional filing fees owed due
to increased contract amounts. Within 30 days after the department's receipt of the primary contractor's notice of
completion, the department shall inform the contracting agency of the amount, if any, to be withheld from the final
- (c) A contracting agency
- (1) may release final payment on a public construction contract to the extent that the agency has received verification
from the Department of Labor and Workforce Development that
- (A) the primary contractor has complied with (a) and (b) of this section;
- (B) the Department of Labor and Workforce Development is not conducting an investigation under this title; and
- (C) the Department of Labor and Workforce Development has not issued a notice of a violation of this chapter to the
primary contractor or any other contractors working on the public construction contract; and
- (2) shall withhold from the final payment an amount sufficient to pay the department's estimate of what may be needed to
compensate the employees of any contractors under investigation on this construction contract, and any unpaid filing
- (d) The notice and filing fee required under (a) of this section may be filed after work has begun if
- (1) the public construction contract is for work undertaken in immediate response to an emergency; and
- (2) the notice and fees are filed not later than 14 days after the work has begun.
- (e) A false statement made on a notice required by this section is punishable under AS 11.56.210
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.