In this chapter,
(1) “abandonment” means that the tenant has left the dwelling unit and the tenant’s personal belongings in it and has been absent for a continuous period of seven days or longer without giving notice under AS 34.03.150 and has defaulted in the payment of rent;
(2) “building and housing codes” include any law, ordinance, or governmental regulation concerning fitness for habitation, or the construction, maintenance, operation, occupancy, use, or appearance of a premise or dwelling unit;
(3) “dwelling unit” means a structure or a part of a structure that is used as a home, residence, or sleeping place by one person who maintains a household or by two or more persons who maintain a common household, and includes mobile homes, and if located in a mobile home park, the lot or space upon which a mobile home is placed;
(4) “fair rental value” means the average rental rate in the community for available dwelling units of similar size and features;
(5) “good faith” means honesty in fact in the conduct of the transaction concerned;
(6) “illegal activity involving alcoholic beverages” means a person’s delivery of an alcoholic beverage in violation of AS 04.11.010(b) in an area where the results of a local option election have, under AS 04.11.491, prohibited the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board from issuing, renewing, or transferring a liquor license or permit under AS 04;
(7) “illegal activity involving a controlled substance” means a violation of AS 11.71.010(a), 11.71.030(a)(1), (2), or (4) — (8), or 11.71.040(a)(1), (2), or (5);
(B) AS 11.66.210 or 11.66.220;
(9) “illegal activity involving an imitation controlled substance” means a violation of AS 11.73.010 — 11.73.030;
(10) “illegal activity involving a place of prostitution” means a violation of AS 11.66.120(a)(1) or 11.66.130(a)(2)(A) or (D);
(11) “landlord” means the owner, lessor, or sublessor of the dwelling unit or the building of which it is a part, and it also means a manager of the premises who fails to disclose as required by AS 34.03.080;
(12) “mobile home” has the meaning given to “manufactured home” in AS 45.29.102;
(13) “organization” includes a corporation, government, governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, and any other legal entity;
(14) “owner” means one or more persons, jointly or severally, in whom is vested all or part of the legal title to property or all or part of the beneficial ownership of property and a right to present use of the premises; the term includes a mortgagee in possession;
(15) “premises” means a dwelling unit and the structure of which it is a part and facilities and appurtenances in it and grounds, areas, and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or whose use is promised to the tenant;
(16) “prepaid rent” means that amount of money demanded by the landlord at the initiation of the tenancy for the purpose of ensuring that rent will be paid, but does not include the first month’s rent or money received as security for damage;
(17) “prostitution” means an act in violation of AS 11.66.100;
(18) “rent” means the uniform periodic payment due the landlord, however denominated;
(19) “rental agreement” means all agreements, written or oral, and valid rules and regulations adopted under AS 34.03.130 embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises;
(20) “sanitary facility” means a flush toilet and proper drainage for all toilets, sinks, basins, bathtubs, and showers;
(21) “single family residence” means a structure maintained and used as a single dwelling unit;
(22) “tenant” means a person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others;
(23) “undeveloped rural area” means an area where public sewer or water services are not available.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 34.03.010. Purpose and construction.
- Sec. 34.03.020. Terms and conditions of rental agreement.
- Sec. 34.03.030. Effect of unsigned or undelivered rental agreement.
- Sec. 34.03.040. Prohibited provisions in rental agreements.
- Sec. 34.03.050. Separation of rents and obligations to maintain property forbidden.
- Sec. 34.03.060. Sublease and assignment.
- Sec. 34.03.070. Security deposits and prepaid rent.
- Sec. 34.03.080. Disclosure.
- Sec. 34.03.090. Landlord to supply possession of the dwelling unit.
- Sec. 34.03.100. Landlord to maintain fit premises.
- Sec. 34.03.110. Limitation of liability. Renumbered
- Sec. 34.03.120. Tenant obligations.
- Sec. 34.03.130. Rules and regulations.
- Sec. 34.03.140. Access.
- Sec. 34.03.150. Tenant to use and occupy.
- Sec. 34.03.160. Noncompliance by the landlord: General.
- Sec. 34.03.170. Failure to deliver possession.
- Sec. 34.03.180. Wrongful failure to supply heat, water, hot water or essential services.
- Sec. 34.03.190. Landlord’s noncompliance as defense to action for possession or rent.
- Sec. 34.03.200. Fire or casualty damage.
- Sec. 34.03.210. Tenant’s remedies for landlord’s unlawful ouster, exclusion, or diminution of service.
- Sec. 34.03.220. Noncompliance with rental agreement; failure to pay rent.
- Sec. 34.03.225. Limitations on mobile home park operator’s right to terminate.
- Sec. 34.03.230. Remedies for absence, nonuse and abandonment.
- Sec. 34.03.240. Waiver of landlord’s right to terminate.
- Sec. 34.03.250. Landlord liens; distraint for rent abolished.
- Sec. 34.03.260. Disposition of abandoned property.
- Sec. 34.03.270. Remedy after termination.
- Sec. 34.03.280. Recovery of possession limited.
- Sec. 34.03.285. Service of process upon tenant.
- Sec. 34.03.290. Periodic tenancy and holdover.
- Sec. 34.03.300. Landlord and tenant remedies for abuse of access.
- Sec. 34.03.310. Retaliatory conduct prohibited.
- Sec. 34.03.320. Obligation of good faith.
- Sec. 34.03.330. Application and exclusions.
- Sec. 34.03.335. Proof of certain property damage claims.
- Sec. 34.03.340. Service of process.
- Sec. 34.03.345. Mediation and binding arbitration.
- Sec. 34.03.350. Attorney fees.
- Sec. 34.03.370. Applicability.
- Sec. 34.03.380. Short title.