- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 33. Probation, Prisons, and Prisoners
- Chapter 30. Prison Facilities and Prisoners
- Section 28. Responsibility For Costs of Medical Care.
previous: Section 26
. Procurement Code Applicable to Contracts.
next: Section 30
. Commissioner to Adopt Regulations. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 88 SLA 1986].
AS 33.30.028. Responsibility For Costs of Medical Care.
- (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the liability for payment of the costs of medical, psychological, and
psychiatric care provided or made available to a prisoner committed to the custody of the commissioner is, subject to
(b) of this section, the responsibility of the prisoner and the
- (1) prisoner's insurer if the prisoner is insured under existing individual health insurance, group health insurance, or
any prepaid medical coverage;
- (2) Department of Health and Social Services if the prisoner is eligible for assistance under AS 47.07 or AS 47.25.120
- (3) United States Department of Veterans Affairs if the prisoner is eligible for veterans' benefits that entitle the
prisoner to reimbursement for the medical care or medical services;
- (4) United States Public Health Service, the Indian Health Service, or any affiliated group or agency if the prisoner is a
Native American and is entitled to medical care from those agencies or groups; and
- (5) parent or guardian of the prisoner if the prisoner is under the age of 18.
- (b) The commissioner shall require prisoners who are without resources under (a) of this section to pay the costs of
medical, psychological, and psychiatric care provided to them by the department. At a minimum, the prisoner shall be
required to pay a portion of the costs based upon the prisoner's ability to pay.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.