Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 26. Elections
- Section 180. Referendum Election.
previous: Section 170
. Initiative Election.
next: Section 190
AS 29.26.180. Referendum Election.
- (a) Unless the ordinance or resolution is repealed, when a petition seeks a referendum vote, the clerk shall submit the
matter to the voters at the next regular election or, if already scheduled, special election occurring not sooner than 60 days after certification of the petition. If no
election is scheduled to occur within 75 days after certification of a petition and the governing body determines it is in the best interest
of the municipality, the governing body may by ordinance order a special election to be held on the matter before the next election that is
already scheduled, but not sooner than 60 days after certification of the petition.
- (b) If a petition is certified before the effective date of the matter referred, the ordinance or resolution against which
the petition is filed shall be suspended pending the referendum vote. During the period of suspension, the governing
body may not enact an ordinance or resolution substantially similar to the suspended measure.
- (c) If the governing body repeals the ordinance or resolution before the referendum election, the petition is void and the
matter referred shall not be placed before the voters.
- (d) If a majority vote favors the repeal of the matter referred, it is repealed. Otherwise, the matter referred remains
in effect or, if it has been suspended, becomes effective on certification of the election.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.