Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 26. Elections
- Section 170. Initiative Election.
previous: Section 160
. New Petition.
next: Section 180
. Referendum Election.
AS 29.26.170. Initiative Election.
- (a) Unless substantially the same measure is adopted, when a petition seeks an initiative vote, the clerk shall submit the
matter to the voters at the next regular election or, if already scheduled, special election occurring not sooner than 60 days after certification of the petition.
If no election is scheduled to occur within 75 days after the certification of a petition and the governing body determines it is in the
best interest of the municipality, the governing body may by ordinance order a special election to be held on the matter before the
next election that is already scheduled, but not sooner than 60 days after certification of the petition.
- (b) If the governing body adopts substantially the same measure, the petition is void, and the matter initiated may not be
placed before the voters.
- (c) The ordinance or resolution initiated shall be published in full in the notice of the election, but may be summarized
on the ballot to indicate clearly the proposal submitted.
- (d) If a majority vote favors the ordinance or resolution, it becomes effective upon certification of the election, unless
a different effective date is provided in the ordinance or resolution.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.