Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 22. Mandatory Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Section 101. General Coverage Requirements; Policy Limits.
previous: Section 100
. General Policy Provisions. [Repealed, Sec. 17 Ch 70 SLA 1984].
next: Section 110
. Maximum Liability of Carrier. [Repealed, Sec. 17 Ch 70 SLA 1984].
AS 28.22.101. General Coverage Requirements; Policy Limits.
- (a) An owner's motor vehicle liability policy must designate by description or appropriate reference the motor vehicles
that it covers and insure the person named against loss from the liability imposed by law for damages that arise from
the ownership, maintenance, or use of a designated motor vehicle.
- (b) An operator's motor vehicle liability policy must insure the person named as insured against loss from the liability
imposed by law for damages that arise from the use by the operator of a motor vehicle not owned by the operator.
- (c) A personal motor vehicle liability policy must insure the person named as insured against loss from liability imposed
by law for damages that arise from the ownership, maintenance, or use by the named person of a motor vehicle whether
owned or not owned by the person.
- (d) A motor vehicle liability policy must provide coverage in the United States or Canada, subject to limits exclusive of
interest and costs, with respect to each vehicle, as follows:
- (1) $50,000 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in one accident, and, subject to the same limit for one
person, $100,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in one accident; and
- (2) $25,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in one accident.
- (e) A motor vehicle liability policy must provide coverage under AS 28.22.201 - 28.22.231 in the amounts set out in (d) of this section
for the protection of the persons insured under the policy who are legally entitled to recover damages from the owner
or operator of an uninsured or underinsured motor vehicle because of bodily injury or death, or damage to or
destruction of property arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of the uninsured or underinsured motor
vehicle. This subsection does not require coverage for punitive damages that might otherwise be recoverable from an
uninsured or underinsured person.
- (f) A motor vehicle liability policy must state the name and address of the named insured and meet the requirements of AS
- 21.42.170. In the absence of specific contract
language or endorsement, the motor vehicle liability policy issued for a person in this state is presumed to meet the
minimum requirements of (d) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.