Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 10. Vehicle Registration, Liens, and Title
- Section 505. Disclosure of Personal Information Contained in Motor Vehicle Records.
previous: Section 502
. Towing and Storage Lien.
next: Section 510
. - 28.10.540l Liens; Nonresident Owners. [Repealed, Sec. 7 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
AS 28.10.505. Disclosure of Personal Information Contained in Motor Vehicle Records.
- (a) Notwithstanding AS 40.25.300
and except as provided in this section, the department may not disclose personal information contained in motor
vehicle records maintained by the department under this chapter.
- (b) Personal information shall be disclosed for use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety or theft;
motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories; performance monitoring of motor
vehicles and dealers by motor vehicle manufacturers; and removal of nonowner records from the original owner records of
motor vehicle manufacturers as required by federal law.
- (c) Personal information may be disclosed if the requesting person demonstrates, in a form and manner the department
prescribes, that the requesting person has obtained the written consent of the person who is the subject of the
- (d) Personal information may be disclosed by the department upon proof of the identity of the person requesting a record
and representation by the requesting person that the use of the personal information is strictly limited to one or more
of the following uses:
- (1) for use by a government agency, including a court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or a
private person or entity acting on behalf of a government agency in carrying out its functions;
- (2) for use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or an agent, employee, or contractor of the
business, but only
- (A) to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by an individual to the business or an agent, employee, or
contractor of the business; and
- (B) if the information submitted is not correct, to obtain the correct information, but only for the purposes of
preventing fraud by pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against, an
- (3) for use in connection with a civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitration proceeding in a court or government
agency or before a self-regulatory body, including service of process and the execution or enforcement of a judgment or
- (4) for use in research activities, or in producing statistical reports, if the personal information is not published,
redisclosed, or used to contact an individual;
- (5) for use by an insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or an agent, employee, or
contractor of an insurer, in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating, or
- (6) for use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles;
- (7) for use by an employer or an agent or insurer of an employer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a
commercial driver's license that is required under 49 U.S.C. 31101 - 31162 (Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act);
- (8) for use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities;
- (9) for use in connection with a legitimate business operating under a contract with the department;
- (10) for bulk distribution for surveys, marketing, or solicitations if the person who is the subject of the information has
provided written consent to the release; and
- (11) for any other purpose specifically authorized by law that is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or related to
- (e) Personal information contained in an individual record may be disclosed, without regard to the intended use of the
personal information, if the person who is the subject of the information has provided written consent to the release.
- (f) In this section,
- (1) "disclose" means to engage in a practice or conduct that makes available or makes known personal information contained
in records of the department about a person to another person, organization, or entity by any means of communication;
- (2) "individual record" means a record containing personal information about a designated person who is the subject of the
record, as identified in a request for information;
- (3) "personal information" means information that identifies a person, including a name, address, telephone number, and
medical or disability information, but does not include information on vehicular accidents, driving- or
equipment-related violations, driver's license or registration status, or a zip code.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.