Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 10. Vehicle Registration, Liens, and Title
- Section 491. Felonies Relating to Title, Registration, Identification Number, and Removal and Representation of Vehicles.
previous: Section 490
. New Certificate. [Repealed, Sec. 7 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
next: Section 493
. Misdemeanors Relating to Transfers.
AS 28.10.491. Felonies Relating to Title, Registration, Identification Number, and Removal and Representation of Vehicles.
- (a) Upon conviction, a person is guilty of a felony who
- (1) alters, forges, or counterfeits a certificate of title or registration, or a registration plate, decal, tab, or
sticker of this or another jurisdiction;
- (2) alters or forges an assignment of a certificate of title or an assignment or release of a security interest on a
certificate of title of this or another jurisdiction or on a form the department prescribes;
- (3) has possession of or uses a certificate of title or registration, registration plate, decal, tab, or sticker of this
or another jurisdiction knowing it to have been altered, forged, or counterfeited;
- (4) wilfully removes or falsifies a vehicle identification number;
- (5) wilfully conceals or misrepresents the identity of a vehicle or vehicle equipment;
- (6) buys, receives, possesses, sells, or disposes of a vehicle or vehicle equipment, knowing that a vehicle identification
number or equipment has been unlawfully removed or falsified;
- (7) removes from the state a vehicle that is the subject of a security interest created under AS 28.01 - 28.35 or under AS 45.01 - 45.08, AS 45.12, AS 45.14, and AS 45.29 without the written consent of the secured party, and with
intent to defraud the secured party or the state;
- (8) represents a motor vehicle or house trailer to be a new vehicle and who sells or procures the sale of that motor
vehicle as a new vehicle without presenting a "manufacturer's statement of origin"; or
- (9) makes a false statement or otherwise conceals or withholds a material fact in an application for registration or
certificate of title or falsely affirms with respect to a matter required to be sworn to, affirmed, or furnished under
this chapter or regulations adopted under this chapter; except that a person who with criminal negligence as defined in
, falsely certifies to the department the existence of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy under AS 28.10.021(a)(2), is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
- (b) A person convicted of an offense under this section is punishable by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more
than five years, or by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000, or by both.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.