Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 10. Vehicle Registration, Liens, and Title
- Section 271. Transfer of Vehicle By Owner.
previous: Section 270
. Application. [Repealed, Sec. 7 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
next: Section 280
. Title For Vehicles of Other State. [Repealed, Sec. 7 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
AS 28.10.271. Transfer of Vehicle By Owner.
- (a) When the owner of a registered vehicle transfers or assigns the owner's title or interest in the vehicle, the
registration of the vehicle expires; however, the registration plates remain on the vehicle except as otherwise
provided in AS 28.10.181
- (b) The owner shall, at the time of delivery of the vehicle, endorse an assignment and warranty of title to the transferee
in the space provided on the certificate of title. The owner shall deliver the certificates of title and registration
to the transferee at the time of delivery of the vehicle, except as otherwise provided in AS 28.10.291
- (c) The owner shall notify the department of the transfer or assignment of the owner's title or interest in the vehicle
within 10 days following transfer or assignment. This notification shall constitute a valid transfer under AS 28.10.321
and 28.10.361. The notice form to be provided by the
department must include the following information:
- (1) name and address of owner;
- (2) name and address of transferee;
- (3) date of transfer or assignment; and
- (4) description and license number of vehicle.
- (d) An emissions inspection and maintenance certificate
- (1) shall be obtained when ownership of a vehicle subject to registration under this chapter is transferred if the
- (A) transferee resides in an area designated by the Department of Environmental Conservation as an emissions inspection
and maintenance area;
- (B) vehicle would be subject to an emissions inspection and maintenance program; and
- (C) vehicle
- (i) has not been inspected for emissions, or the existing emissions inspection occurred more than two years ago; or
- (ii) has a certificate of inspection, but the certificate shows that the vehicle is not in compliance with program
- (2) need not be obtained under (1) of this subsection if, when ownership of vehicle is transferred,
- (A) the transferor surrenders the vehicle's registration plates and all evidence of registration in the transferor's
possession or control to the department; or
- (B) the vehicle has a valid, existing emissions inspection and maintenance program seasonal waiver and the purchaser signs
a seasonal waiver transfer acknowledgment form approved by the department.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.