Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 26. Military Affairs, Veterans, and Disasters
- Chapter 23. Disasters
- Section 900. Definitions.
previous: Section 400
. Fuel Emergency Fund.
next: Chapter 25
. National Guard Mutual Assistance Compact
AS 26.23.900. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "commission" means the Alaska State Emergency Response Commission;
- (2) "disaster" means the occurrence or imminent threat of widespread or severe damage, injury, loss of life or property,
or shortage of food, water, or fuel resulting from
- (A) an incident such as storm, high water, wind-driven water, tidal wave, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption,
landslide, mudslide, avalanche, snowstorm, prolonged extreme cold, drought, fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, or riot;
- (B) the release of oil or a hazardous substance if the release requires prompt action to avert environmental danger or
mitigate environmental damage;
- (C) equipment failure if the failure is not a predictably frequent or recurring event or preventable by adequate equipment
maintenance or operation;
- (D) enemy or terrorist attack or a credible threat of imminent enemy or terrorist attack in or against the state that the
adjutant general of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs or a designee of the adjutant general, in
consultation with the commissioner of public safety or a designee of the commissioner of public safety, certifies to
the governor has a high probability of occurring in the near future; the certification must meet the standards of AS 26.20.040
(c); in this subparagraph, "attack" has the meaning given under AS 26.20.200
- (E) an outbreak of disease or a credible threat of an imminent outbreak of disease that the commissioner of health and
social services or a designee of the commissioner of health and social services certifies to the governor has a high
probability of occurring in the near future; the certification must be based on specific information received from a
local, state, federal, or international agency, or another source that the commissioner or the designee determines is
- (3) "disaster emergency" means the condition declared by proclamation of the governor or declared by the principal
executive officer of a political subdivision to designate the imminence or occurrence of a disaster;
- (4) [Repealed, Sec. 22 ch 179 SLA 2004].
- (5) "hazardous substance" has the meaning given in AS 46.03.826
- (6) "major disaster" has the meaning given in 42 U.S.C. 5122;
- (7) "political subdivision" means
- (A) a municipality;
- (B) an unincorporated village; or
- (C) another unit of local government;
- (8) "temporary housing" has the meaning given in the federal Disaster Relief Act as amended;
- (9) "unorganized militia" means all persons comprising that component of the militia of the state, as described in AS 26.05.010
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.