Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 26. Military Affairs, Veterans, and Disasters
- Chapter 23. Disasters
- Section 90. Grants to Disaster Victims.
previous: Section 80
. Federal Disaster Loans to Political Subdivisions.
next: Section 100
. Temporary Housing.
AS 26.23.090. Grants to Disaster Victims.
- (a) Whenever the President, at the request of the governor, has declared a major disaster to exist in this state, the
- (1) upon the governor's determination that financial assistance is essential to meet disaster-related necessary expenses
or serious needs of individuals or families adversely affected by a major disaster that cannot be otherwise adequately
met from other means of assistance, accept a grant by the federal government to fund that financial assistance, subject
to the terms and conditions that may be imposed upon the grant;
- (2) enter into an agreement with the federal government, or any officer or agency of it, pledging the state to participate
in the funding of the financial assistance authorized in (1) of this subsection, in an amount not to exceed 25 percent
of the assistance and, if state funds are not otherwise available to the governor, to accept an advance of the state's
share from the federal government to be repaid when the state is able to do so.
- (b) The governor is authorized to make financial grants to an individual or family to meet disaster-related necessary
expenses or serious needs of individuals or families adversely affected by the disaster that cannot otherwise
adequately be met from other means of assistance. The governor may make a grant to an individual and family under this
subsection as follows:
- (1) when the President declares a major disaster, the governor may make a grant of an amount whose total of federal and
state shares does not exceed the maximum amount authorized by 42 U.S.C. 5178(f) for grants payable to individuals and
- (2) when the President does not declare a major disaster but the governor declares a disaster emergency, the governor may
make a grant of an amount not to exceed $5,000.
- (c) [Repealed, Sec. 18 ch 178 SLA 1990].
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.