Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 23. Labor and Workers' Compensation
- Chapter 30. Alaska Workers' Compensation Act
- Section 40. Second Injury Fund.
previous: Section 35
. Adjustment of Insurance Rates.
next: Section 41
. Rehabilitation of Injured Workers.
AS 23.30.040. Second Injury Fund.
- (a) There is created a second injury fund, administered by the commissioner. Money in the second injury fund may only be
paid for the benefit of those persons entitled to payment of benefits from the second injury fund under this chapter.
Payments from the second injury fund must be made by the commissioner in accordance with the orders and awards of the
- (b) If an employee suffers a compensable injury that results in temporary total disability, temporary partial disability,
permanent partial disability, or permanent total disability, the employer or insurance carrier shall contribute to the
second injury fund. The contribution shall be made annually at the time of the report filing required by AS 23.30.155
(m). The amount of the contribution is the product of the compensation to which the employee is entitled for temporary
total disability, temporary partial disability, permanent partial disability, or permanent total disability and the
applicable contribution rate set out in column A of this subsection. Payment need not be made to the second injury fund
if the total contribution under this subsection is less than $20. By December 15 of each year the commissioner shall
determine and make available to the public the applicable contribution rate for the following calendar year according
to the reserve rate of the second injury fund in column B of this subsection:
Column A Column B
Second Injury Fund Reserve Rate
Contribution Rate At Least But Less Than
(Percent) (Percent) (Percent)
6 0 50
5 50 75
4 75 100
3 100 125
2 125 150
1 150 175
- (c) If an employee suffers a compensable injury that results in death and the employee is not survived by a widow,
widower, child, or dependent relative eligible to receive death benefits under AS 23.30.215, the employer or insurance carrier shall pay
$10,000 to the second injury fund.
- (d) The board may refund a payment made into the second injury fund if the employer or insurance carrier shows that it
made the payment by mistake or inadvertence, or if it shows there existed at the time of the death of the employee a
beneficiary entitled to benefits under AS 23.30.215.
- (e) [Repealed, Sec. 27 ch 93 SLA 1982].
- (f) All amounts collected as civil penalties under AS 23.30.155
(c) shall be paid into the second injury fund.
- (g) The attorney general may investigate claims and hire expert witnesses necessary to prevent fraudulent or excessive
claims for money in the second injury fund.
- (h) Administration expenses of the state under this section and AS 23.30.205 must be paid from the second injury fund.
- (i) The amount of a payment to the second injury fund and the conditions under which a payment is required of an employer
or insurance carrier must be in accordance with the version of (b) of this section in effect on the date that the
injury to the employee occurred.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.