Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 80. Alaska Insurance Guaranty Association Act
- Section 180. Definitions.
previous: Section 170
. Termination and Distribution of Funds. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 52 SLA 1990].
next: Section 190
. Short Title.
AS 21.80.180. Definitions.
In this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise,
- (1) "account" means any one of the three accounts created by AS 21.80.040(a);
- (2) "affiliate of an insolvent insurer" means a person who directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries,
controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with an insolvent insurer on December 31 of the year immediately
preceding the date the insurer becomes an insolvent insurer;
- (3) "association" means the Alaska Insurance Guaranty Association;
- (4) "claimant" means an insured making a first party claim or a person making a liability claim; "claimant" does not
include a person who is an affiliate of an insolvent insurer;
- (5) "control" has the meaning given in AS 21.22.200
- (6) "covered claim" means an unpaid claim, including one of unearned premiums, that arises out of and is within the
coverage and not in excess of the applicable limits of an insurance policy issued by an insurer to which this chapter
applies if the insurer becomes an insolvent insurer and (A) the claimant or insured is a resident of this state at the
time of the insured event, or (B) the claim is a first party claim for damage to property that is permanently located
in this state; "covered claim" does not include an amount awarded for punitive or exemplary damages, an amount sought
as a return of premium under a retroactive rating plan, or an amount due a reinsurer, insurer, insurance pool, or
underwriting association, as subrogation recoveries or otherwise;
- (7) "insolvent insurer" means an insurer
- (A) authorized to transact insurance in this state either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured event
occurred, except an assessable reciprocal insurer formed by and insuring only municipalities or nonprofit public
utilities, a reciprocal insurer formed under AS 21.75 to provide
marine insurance, and a joint insurance arrangement formed under AS 21.76, either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured
event occurred, and
- (B) against which a court of competent jurisdiction in the insurer's state of domicile has made a final order of
liquidation with a finding of insolvency;
- (8) "member insurer" means a person, except an assessable reciprocal insurer formed by and insuring only municipalities or
nonprofit public utilities, a reciprocal insurer formed under AS 21.75 to provide marine insurance, and a joint insurance arrangement
formed under AS 21.76, who
- (A) writes insurance to which this chapter applies under AS 21.80.020, including the exchange of reciprocal or
interinsurance contracts; and
- (B) is authorized to transact insurance in the state;
- (9) "net direct written premiums" means direct gross premiums written in this state on insurance policies to which this
chapter applies, less return premiums thereon and dividends paid or credited to policyholders on direct business; "net
direct written premiums" does not include premiums on contracts between insurers or reinsurers;
- (10) "resident" means, for a person other than an individual, the state in which the person's principal place of business
is located at the time of the insured event.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.