Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 51. Health Insurance Policies
- Section 20. Scope, Format of Policy.
previous: Section 10
next: Section 30
. Required Provisions.
AS 21.51.020. Scope, Format of Policy.
A policy of health insurance may not be delivered or issued for delivery to a person in this state unless it otherwise
complies with this title, and complies with the following:
- (1) the entire money and other considerations must be expressed in the policy;
- (2) the time the insurance takes effect and terminates must be expressed in the policy;
- (3) it must insure only one person, except that a policy may insure, originally or by subsequent amendment, upon the
application of an adult member of a family, who shall be considered the policyholder, any two or more eligible members
of that family, including husband, wife, dependent children, or any children under a specified age, which shall not
exceed 23 years, and any other person dependent upon the policyholder;
- (4) the style, arrangement, and over-all appearance of the policy must give no undue prominence to any portion of the
text, and every printed portion of the text of the policy and of endorsements or attached papers must be plainly
printed in light-faced type of a style in general use, the size of which must be uniform and not less than 10 point
with a lower case unspaced alphabet length not less than 120 point; in this paragraph, text includes all printed matter
except the name and address of the insurer, name or title of the policy, the brief description, if any, and captions
- (5) the exceptions and reductions of indemnity must be set out in the policy and, other than those contained in AS 21.51.040
- 21.51.260, must be printed, at the insurer's
option, either included with the benefit provision to which they apply, or under an appropriate caption such as
"Exceptions," or "Exceptions and Reductions," except that if an exception or reduction specifically applies only to a
particular benefit of the policy, a statement of the exception or reduction must be included with the benefit provision
to which it applies;
- (6) each form, including riders and endorsements, must be identified by a form number in the lower left-hand corner of the
- (7) the policy may not contain a provision making a portion of the charter, rules, constitution, or bylaws of the insurer
a part of the policy unless the portion is set out in full in the policy; this paragraph does not apply to the
incorporation of, or reference to, a statement of rates or classification of risks, or short-rate table filed with the
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.