Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 6. The Director of Insurance
- Section 80. General Powers, Duties; Catastrophes.
previous: Section 70
next: Section 85
. Uniform Data and Procedures For Health Claims.
AS 21.06.080. General Powers, Duties; Catastrophes.
- (a) The director shall enforce the provisions of this title, and shall execute the duties imposed by this title.
- (b) The director has the power and authority expressly conferred by or reasonably implied from the provisions of this
- (c) The director may conduct examinations and investigations of insurance matters, in addition to examinations and
investigations expressly authorized, considered proper to determine whether any person has violated a provision of this
title or to secure information useful in the lawful administration of its provisions.
- (d) If the director determines that a catastrophe has occurred in this state and in good faith believes that the governor
or the President of the United States has issued or is about to issue a declaration of disaster, the director may take
the action that the director considers necessary to assure that a contract of insurance already issued will be honored
under the terms of the contract. Actions that the director may take include emergency orders permitting the immediate
licensing of adjusters to facilitate handling of claims, permitting a licensee to open or close an office, permitting a
licensee to move or remove a record as required by the existence of the catastrophe, or permitting the issuance by an
insurer of checks or drafts drawn on an out-of-state bank in payment of a claim. Until a declaration of the disaster
has been lifted, the director may take action to respond to a disaster without a hearing. An action taken under this
subsection may not remain in effect more than six months from the date that the director determines that a catastrophe
has occurred unless, after a hearing, the director determines that the action is still necessary to respond to the
- (e) The director has such additional powers and duties as may be provided by other laws of this state.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.