Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 19. Highways and Ferries
- Chapter 20. Cooperation By and With the State
- Section 15. Local Control of State Transportation Corridors.
previous: Section 10
. Connecting Highways.
next: Section 17
. Local Control of Traffic Control Systems.
AS 19.20.015. Local Control of State Transportation Corridors.
- (a) A municipality, by resolution of its governing body, may request of the department the assumption of the department's
responsibilities relating to planning of transportation corridors that are to be located within the boundaries or
operating area of the municipality. After receipt of the request, the department shall provide by agreement for
assumption by the municipality of the department's responsibilities relating to planning of transportation corridors,
unless the commissioner determines that assumption of responsibilities by the municipality is not practicable or not in
the best interests of the state. The parties may by mutual agreement provide for joint or cooperative assumption of
responsibilities by the department and the municipality.
- (b) If the commissioner determines that assumption of responsibilities by a municipality under this section is not
practicable or not in the best interests of the state, the commissioner shall notify the municipality of that finding
and specify reasons for it. If the municipality requests reconsideration of the decision, the commissioner shall hold
a hearing in the municipality within 30 days following mailing of the request. Following the hearing the commissioner
may affirm, modify, or reverse the initial decision and shall specify in writing the reasons.
- (c) Provisions of this title governing planning of transportation corridors by the department, and regulations adopted
under the provisions, govern the administration of projects assumed by a municipality under this section, and for that
purpose supersede any conflicting provisions of ordinance or charter.
- (d) The commissioner may require terms or conditions in an agreement under this section necessary to ensure compliance
with the requirements of this section and otherwise considered to be in the public interest. If necessary, the
commissioner may require as a condition of an agreement under this section approval of the agreement by the federal
- (e) The provisions of this section apply only to the extent permitted by federal laws and regulations.
- (f) [Repealed, Sec. 88 ch 74 SLA 1985].
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.