Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 19. Highways and Ferries
- Chapter 10. State Highway System
- Section 72. Procedures For Determination of Speed Limits and Zones.
previous: Section 70
. Speed Limits and Zones.
next: Section 75
. Designation of Traffic Safety Corridors; Fines.
AS 19.10.072. Procedures For Determination of Speed Limits and Zones.
- (a) In determining safe speed limits and safe speed zones, the department shall consider the following factors in the
order of priority listed:
- (1) neighborhood safety, including the presence of children and pedestrian traffic;
- (2) the presence of schools, houses, parks, and crosswalks;
- (3) the presence of driveways, parked vehicles, and multiple turn locations;
- (4) that speed at which safe and prudent drivers could pass through the speed zone; and
- (5) the effectiveness of local enforcement of the speed zone.
- (b) In determining safe speed limits and safe speed zones within a municipality, the department shall consult with that
municipality. In determining safe speed limits and safe speed zones on highways and other roadways under its
jurisdiction, the department shall also consult with community councils or other community organizations in the
affected area if the community councils or other community organizations request in writing to participate in the
determination. The department shall provide notice and opportunity for a hearing before establishing a speed limit or
speed zone other than as recommended by a municipality, community council or other community organization.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.