Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 55. Housing, Public Buildings, Urban Renewal, and Regional Housing Authorities
- Section 996. Creation of Authorities.
previous: Section 995
. Purpose and Intent.
next: Section 997
. Residential Loans.
AS 18.55.996. Creation of Authorities.
- (a) The following associations are given the authority specified in (b) of this section:
- (1) Arctic Slope Native Association (Barrow and Point Hope);
- (2) Kawerak, Inc. (Seward Peninsula, Unalakleet, St. Lawrence Island);
- (3) Northwest Alaska Native Association (Kotzebue);
- (4) Association of Village Council Presidents (southwest coast of Alaska including all villages in the Bethel area and all
villages on the Lower Yukon River and Lower Kuskokwim River);
- (5) Tanana Chiefs Conference (Koyukuk, the middle and upper Yukon River villages, and the upper Kuskokwim and Tanana River
- (6) Cook Inlet Tribal Council (Kenai, Tyonek, Eklutna, and Seldovia);
- (7) Bristol Bay Native Association (Dillingham, Upper Alaska Peninsula);
- (8) Aleut League (Aleutian Islands, Pribilof Islands, and that part of the Alaska Peninsula that is in the Aleut League);
- (9) North Pacific Rim Native Corp. (Cordova, Tatitlek, Port Graham, English Bay, Valdez, Seward, Eyak, and Chenega);
- (10) Tlingit-Haida Central Council or Alaska Native Brotherhood (Southeastern Alaska);
- (11) Kodiak Area Native Association (all villages on and around Kodiak Island);
- (12) Copper River Native Association (Copper Center, Glennallen, Chitina, and Mentasta);
- (13) Alaska Federation of Natives, Inc.;
- (14) Sitka Community Association (Baranof and Japonski Island);
- (15) Metlakatla Indian Community (Metlakatla);
- (16) Ketchikan Indian Corporation (Ketchikan area, excluding Saxman).
- (b) There is created with respect to each of the associations named in (a) of this section a public body corporate and
politic to function in the operating area of the individual associations to be known as the regional housing authority
of the associations possessing all powers, rights, and functions now or subsequently specified under AS 18.55.100
- 18.55.290, except those specified with respect to
the construction and acquisition of public buildings for lease to the state or any authority that is inconsistent with
. A regional housing authority may enter into agreements with local government, other political subdivisions of the
state, the state or the federal government for the exercise of a function or power relating to construction, operation,
and maintenance of public facilities or public utilities. Upon execution of an agreement and for the period of the
agreement the regional housing authority shall have the same powers and functions relating to the subject matter of the
agreement as those that may legally be exercised by the governmental unit with whom the agreement is made including the
authority to separately or together with the other unit borrow money and issue notes, bonds, or other evidence of
indebtedness to finance a project within the scope of the agreement subject to the express limitations, if any,
contained in the agreement. All obligations or liabilities of the regional housing authority shall remain their own and
are not obligations or liabilities of the state.
- (c) A housing authority created by this section may not transact business or exercise powers granted to it until the
governing body of the named association has, by proper resolution, declared that there is a need for the authority to
function, gives it the authority to function and has named its commissioners as provided under (d) of this section.
- (d) The governing body of the association in question shall, after determining that it wishes to have a regional native
housing authority, appoint five persons to serve as the board of commissioners of the authority. The term of office of
each member is for three years except that, of the commissioners first appointed, one shall serve for a term of one
year and two shall serve for a term of two years. Vacancies shall be filled by the governing body of the association
- (e) Questions arising as to jurisdiction and boundary disputes as a result of the jurisdictional lines set out by (a) of
this section shall be resolved by the governing board of the Alaska Federation of Natives.
- (f) The authority shall have the power to acquire, construct, operate, and maintain group homes, multipurpose community
centers, child care centers, and other community facilities.
- (g) If an activity associated with the planning, financing, construction, or operation of a project by a regional housing
authority established in this section and authorized under AS 18.55.100
- 18.55.290 conflicts with an activity of the Alaska
Housing Finance Corporation, the governing body of the municipality in which the project is located shall resolve the
- (h) Before a contract for the construction, alteration, or repair of a housing unit constructed under a federal or state
funded housing program is awarded, the regional housing authority shall require the contractors to comply with the bond
provisions specified in AS 36.25.010 (a) and (b).
- (i) A housing authority created under this section shall have its financial records audited annually by an independent
certified public accountant. The legislative auditor may prescribe the form and content of the financial records of the
housing authority and shall have access to these records at any time.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.