Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 15. Disease Control and Threats to Public Health
- Section 410. Consent For Testing; Court Order For Testing; Exception.
previous: Section 400
. Bloodborne Pathogen Testing of Prisoners, Certain Adult or Juvenile Offenders, and Public Safety Officers; Required Disclosures and Consent.
next: Section 420
. Testing Without Consent.
AS 18.15.410. Consent For Testing; Court Order For Testing; Exception.
- (a) When a public safety officer has made a request under AS 18.15.400
, except as provided in (b) or (c) of this section or in AS 18.15.420
, before collecting and testing the blood of an adult or juvenile offender or a prisoner, the employing agency shall first obtain the
consent of the adult offender or prisoner or the adult or juvenile offender's or prisoner's representative if the adult or juvenile
offender or prisoner is unable to provide the consent.
- (b) Consent of an adult or juvenile offender's or a prisoner's representative is not required if the employing
agency has made reasonable efforts to locate the adult or juvenile offender's or prisoner's representative and the representative cannot
be found within 24 hours after a significant exposure. If testing of available blood occurs without consent because the adult or
juvenile offender or prisoner is unconscious or unable to provide consent, and a representative cannot be located, the employing agency
shall provide the information required in AS 18.15.400
to the adult or juvenile offender, prisoner, or representative whenever it is possible to do so.
- (c) If an adult or juvenile offender or a prisoner dies before an opportunity to consent to blood collection or
testing, consent is not required, and the adult or juvenile offender's or prisoner's blood may be collected and tested.
- (d) If the adult or juvenile offender or prisoner or the adult or juvenile offender's or prisoner's representative,
if appropriate, consents and a sample of the adult or juvenile offender's or prisoner's blood
- (1) is available, the employing agency shall have the blood tested for bloodborne pathogens;
- (2) is not available, the employing agency shall collect a sample and have the blood sample tested for bloodborne
- (e) The employing agency may not withhold care or treatment on the requirement that the adult or juvenile offender
or prisoner consent to testing for bloodborne pathogens.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.