Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 7. Certificate of Need Program
- Section 111. Definitions.
previous: Section 101
next: Chapter 8
. Emergency Medical Services
AS 18.07.111. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "category of health services" means a major type, program, unit, division, or department of care provided through a
health care facility, whether inpatient or outpatient, including an outpatient department, psychiatric wing, kidney
dialysis program, radiotherapy, burn unit, or newborn intensive care unit, except that "service" does not include the
lawful practice of a profession or vocation conducted independently of a health care facility and in accordance with
applicable licensing laws of the state;
- (2) "certificate" means a certificate of need issued by the department under AS 18.07.041
, 18.07.043, or 18.07.071;
- (3) "commencement of activities" means the visible commencement of actual operations on the ground for the construction of
a building, the alteration of the bed capacity of a health care facility, or the provision for a category of health
services to consumers, which operations are readily recognizable as such, and which operations are done with intent to
continue the work until such activities are completed;
- (4) "commissioner" means the commissioner of health and social services;
- (5) "complete activities" means the substantial performance of the work required to comply with the terms of issuance of
the certificate of need to which all parties participating in those activities have obligated themselves to perform;
- (6) "construction" means the erection, building, alteration, reconstruction, improvement, extension, or modification of a
health care facility under this chapter, including lease or purchase of equipment, excavation, or other necessary
- (7) "department" means the Department of Health and Social Services;
- (8) "health care facility" means a private, municipal, state, or federal hospital, psychiatric hospital, independent
diagnostic testing facility, residential psychiatric treatment center, tuberculosis hospital, skilled nursing facility,
kidney disease treatment center (including freestanding hemodialysis units), intermediate care facility, and ambulatory
surgical facility; the term excludes
- (A) the Alaska Pioneers' Home and the Alaska Veterans' Home administered by the Department of Health and Social Services
under AS 47.55; and
- (B) the offices of private physicians or dentists whether in individual or group practice;
- (9) "nursing home bed" means a bed not used for acute care in which nursing care and related medical services are provided
over a period of 24 hours a day to individuals admitted to the health care facility because of illness, disease, or
- (10) "residential psychiatric treatment center" means a secure or semi-secure psychiatric facility or inpatient program in
a psychiatric facility that is licensed by the Department of Health and Social Services and that provides
therapeutically appropriate and medically necessary diagnostic, evaluation, and treatment services
- (A) 24 hours a day for children with severe emotional or behavioral disorders;
- (B) under the direction of a physician; and
- (C) under a professionally developed and supervised individual plan of care designed to achieve the recipient's discharge
from inpatient status at the earliest possible time that is intensively and collaboratively delivered by an
interdisciplinary team involving medical, mental health, educational, and social service components.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.