Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 16. Fish and Game
- Chapter 51. Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
- Section 140. Procedures For An Election to Approve or Terminate a Seafood Marketing Assessment.
previous: Section 130
. Termination of the Seafood Marketing Assessment.
next: Section 150
. Determination of Value.
AS 16.51.140. Procedures For An Election to Approve or Terminate a Seafood Marketing Assessment.
- (a) The institute may conduct an election under this section after the director of elections approves
- (1) the notice to be published by the institute;
- (2) the ballot to be used in the election; and
- (3) the registration and voting procedures for the approval or termination of the seafood marketing assessment.
- (b) In conducting the election under this section, the institute and the director of elections shall adopt the following
- (1) the proposed levy or termination of the assessment shall be adopted at a regularly scheduled meeting of the board of
directors of the institute held not less than 60 days before the date on which the ballots must be postmarked to be
counted unless the election is for termination of the assessment and has been initiated by a petition under AS 16.51.130
- (2) the institute shall hold at least one meeting, not less than 30 days before the date on which ballots must be
postmarked to be counted, to explain the reason for the proposed seafood marketing assessment or termination of the
assessment and to explain the voting procedure to be used in the election; the institute shall provide notice of the
- (A) mailing the notice to each eligible processor; and
- (B) publishing the notice in at least one newspaper of general circulation in each region of the state at least two weeks
before the meeting;
- (3) the director of elections shall mail ballots to each eligible processor not more than 45 days before the date
specified as the date ballots must be postmarked;
- (4) the ballot must
- (A) indicate whether the assessment is to be levied under AS 16.51.120(b), (c), (d), (e), (h), or (i) and must state
the percentage of the assessment;
- (B) indicate the effective date of the levy of the assessment or termination of the assessment;
- (C) ask whether the assessment shall be levied or, if the election is to terminate the assessment, whether the assessment
shall be terminated;
- (5) the ballots shall be returned by mail to the director of elections and shall be counted by the director of elections
or a representative.
- (c) The director of elections shall certify the results of an election under this section if the director determines that
the requirements of (a) and (b) of this section have been satisfied.
- (d) For the purposes of this section a ballot submitted by a corporation is presumed valid if the ballot is signed by an
individual who is indicated to be an officer of the corporation and the ballot is imprinted with the corporate seal.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.