Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 16. Fish and Game
- Chapter 20. Conservation and Protection of Alaska Fish and Game
- Section 162. Purpose; Regulations.
previous: Section 160
. Mcneil River State Game Sanctuary.
next: Section 170
. [Renumbered as AS 16.20.162
AS 16.20.162. Purpose; Regulations.
- (a) The McNeil River State Game Sanctuary is established to
- (1) provide permanent protection for brown bear and other fish and wildlife populations and their habitats, so that these
resources may be preserved for scientific, aesthetic, and educational purposes;
- (2) manage human use and activities in a way that is compatible with (1) of this subsection and to maintain and enhance
the unique bear viewing opportunities within the sanctuary; and
- (3) provide opportunities that are compatible with (1) of this subsection for wildlife viewing, fisheries enhancement, and
fishing, for temporary safe anchorage, and for other activities.
- (b) Hunting and trapping within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary are prohibited.
- (c) The department and the Department of Natural Resources
- (1) may not enter into sales of land within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary;
- (2) may enter into leases within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary if the commissioner finds that activity conducted
under the lease is compatible with the purposes for which the sanctuary is established;
- (3) may not accept transfer of state selected land from the federal government, or conveyance of other land, within the
sanctuary if the land is subject to
- (A) a lease, easement, or other right to operate or maintain a private facility on the land or to conduct a private
enterprise on the land; or
- (B) a continuing trespass by an unauthorized private facility or private enterprise.
- (d) The McNeil River State Game Sanctuary is closed to mineral entry under AS 38.05.185
- (e) The boards may adopt regulations governing access, entry, development, construction, fishing, and other uses and
activities affecting the natural habitat, fish and wildlife, and public use of the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary.
- (f) The commissioner shall prepare a report and notify the legislature of its availability by January 30 of each year on
- (1) the status of the brown bears and other fish and wildlife resources within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary; and
- (2) the effects of fishing and fishery enhancement activity on these resources.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.