Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 15. Elections
- Chapter 10. Election Districts, Election Officials, and Redistricting
- Section 220. Voting Rights Act Review and Legal Representation.
previous: Section 210
. Expenditures For Population Surveys or Sampling Prohibited.
next: Section 300
. Preparation For Legislative Redistricting.
AS 15.10.220. Voting Rights Act Review and Legal Representation.
- (a) The independent legal counsel for the Redistricting Board provided for in art. VI, sec. 9, Constitution of the State
of Alaska, shall
- (1) submit the board's redistricting plan for preclearance to the United States Department of Justice or the United States
District Court for the District of Columbia under 42 U.S.C. 1973c; and
- (2) defend the plan and board in all matters concerning redistricting until a final plan for redistricting and a
proclamation of redistricting have been adopted and all challenges to them brought under art. VI, sec. 11, Constitution
of the State of Alaska, have been resolved after final remand or affirmation; the board shall have sole discretion to
enter a settlement agreement and control litigation strategy that affects the final proclamation issued under art. VI,
sec. 10, Constitution of the State of Alaska.
- (b) Nothing in this section denies or creates standing in the governor, the legislature, or another person to be a party
to the proceedings described in subsection (a).
Article 03. REDISTRICTING
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.