Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 43. Financial Aid Programs For Postsecondary Students
- Section 85. Free Tuition and Fees For a Spouse or Dependent of a Peace Officer or Members of the Armed Services or a Fire Department.
previous: Section 80
. Free Tuition and Fees at State-Supported Educational Institutions. [Repealed, Sec. 2 Ch 50 SLA 1991].
next: Section 90
. Scholarship Revolving Loan Fund. [Repealed, Sec. 42 Ch 85 SLA 2001].
AS 14.43.085. Free Tuition and Fees For a Spouse or Dependent of a Peace Officer or Members of the Armed Services or a Fire Department.
- (a) A person enrolled as a student in good standing in a state supported educational institution in this state is entitled
to a waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees if the person was the spouse or dependent child of a bona fide resident
of the state who was
- (1) a member of the armed services and who died in the line of duty or who died as a result of injuries sustained while in
the line of duty for the state or federal government or who was listed by the United States Department of Defense as a
prisoner of war or as missing in action; or
- (2) a peace officer or a member of a fire department who died from an act arising out of and in the course of
- (A) employment as a peace officer or a fire fighter; or
- (B) duties as a volunteer fire fighter.
- (b) In this section,
- (1) "armed services" means the Alaska National Guard, Alaska Naval Militia, and the armed services of the United States;
- (2) "dependent child" means a person who was a dependent of a peace officer or of a member of the armed services or a fire
department at the time of the peace officer's or member's death, and who is
- (A) the peace officer's or member's natural or adopted child;
- (B) a child in relation to whom the deceased armed services member, fire fighter, or peace officer stood in loco parentis
for at least three years before the peace officer's or member's death;
- (C) the peace officer's or member's stepchild; or
- (D) the peace officer's or member's acknowledged illegitimate child;
- (3) "fire department" means a federal, state, or municipal fire department or a regularly organized volunteer fire
department registered with the state fire marshal;
- (4) "line of duty" has the meaning given under federal law;
- (5) "peace officer" has the meaning given in AS 01.10.060
and includes a correctional officer;
- (6) "resident" means a person who resided in the state for at least one year before serving in the armed services and who
lists Alaska as the home state for purposes of military records, or a person who was employed as a peace officer in
this state or was a member of a fire department located in this state;
- (7) "spouse" means a person who was married to a peace officer or to a member of the armed services or a fire department
at the time of the peace officer's or member's death.
Article 04. EDUCATION LOAN PROGRAM
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.