Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 42. Postsecondary Education
- Section 30. Functions, Duties, and Powers of the Commission.
previous: Section 25
. Meetings, Rules, Votes Required.
next: Section 32
. Limitation On Awarding Loans. [Repealed, Sec. 26 Ch 5 SLA 1996].
AS 14.42.030. Functions, Duties, and Powers of the Commission.
- (a) The commission has the following functions, advisory to the governing boards of institutions of public and private
higher education in this state, to the governor, the legislature, and to other appropriate state and federal officials:
- (1) coordinate the development of comprehensive plans for the orderly, systematic growth of public and private
postsecondary education, including community colleges and occupational education, in the state and submit
recommendations on the need for, and location of, new facilities and programs;
- (2) review and advise as to the efficiency and effectiveness of all consortia and other cooperative agreements between the
institutions of public and private higher education in the state that are parties to them.
- (b) The commission shall
- (1) administer the financial aid and interstate education compact programs under AS 14.43.091
- 14.43.920 and 14.43.990, and AS 14.44;
- (2) administer the provisions of AS 14.48 concerning regulation of
postsecondary educational institutions;
- (3) resolve disputes under a consortium or other cooperative agreement between institutions of public and private higher
education in the state; and
- (4) serve as the state agency required under 20 U.S.C. 1001 - 1155.
- (c) [Repealed, Sec. 42 ch 85 SLA 2001].
- (d) The commission shall enter into agreements with government or postsecondary education officials of this state or other
states to provide postsecondary educational services and programs to Alaska residents pursuing a medical education
degree sufficient to accommodate at least 20 new program participants each year. An agreement with another state must be limited to services and programs that are unavailable in Alaska. The
commission shall require a person participating in a medical education program offered under this subsection to agree
to the repayment condition imposed under AS 14.43.510.
- (e) The commission may
- (1) adopt regulations under AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act)
- (A) carry out the purposes of
- (i) AS 14.43.091
- 14.43.750, 14.43.990, AS 14.44, and AS 14.48; and
- (ii) AS 14.43.910
and 14.43.920 as they relate to the purposes of AS 14.43.091
- 14.43.750, 14.43.990, AS 14.44, and AS 14.48;
- (B) ensure compliance with the requirements imposed by state and federal statutes and regulations governing the guaranty,
insurance, purchase, or other dealings in eligible loans by federal agencies, instrumentalities, or corporations; and
- (C) establish standards for the
- (i) administration of hearings conducted under AS 14.43.153
- (ii) administrative enforcement of collection orders under AS 14.43.151 - 14.43.155;
- (2) delegate to the executive director of the commission or a subcommittee of the commission any duty imposed on or power
granted to the commission by this chapter, AS 14.43, AS 14.44, or AS 14.48, except its power to adopt regulations and its duty to
consider appeals under AS 14.43.100
(b) and AS 14.48.120
- (3) establish task forces, committees, or subcommittees, not necessarily consisting of commission members, to advise and
assist the commission in carrying out its functions;
- (4) contract with or use existing institutions of postsecondary education or other individuals or organizations to make
studies, conduct surveys, submit recommendations, or otherwise contribute to the work of the commission;
- (5) establish fees for the review of an out-of-state institution that
- (A) requests approval for participation in the programs under AS 14.43.091 - 14.43.750, 14.43.990, and AS 14.44; and
- (B) is not accredited by a national or regional accreditation association recognized by the Council for Higher Education
- (6) collect all fees and costs incurred in collection of the amount owed on a loan or repayment obligation if the loan or
repayment obligation becomes delinquent or in default; in this paragraph, fees and costs include attorney fees, court
costs, and collection fees charged by a collection agency.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.