Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 40. The University of Alaska, the Community Colleges, and the Alaska Aerospace Development Corporation
- Section 170. Duties and Powers of Board of Regents.
previous: Section 160
. Board Meetings Public; Meeting Notice; Public Facilities.
next: Section 175
AS 14.40.170. Duties and Powers of Board of Regents.
- (a) The Board of Regents shall
- (1) appoint the president of the university by a majority vote of the whole board, and the president may attend meetings
of the board;
- (2) fix the compensation of the president of the university, all heads of departments, professors, teachers, instructors,
and other officers;
- (3) confer such appropriate degrees as it may determine and prescribe;
- (4) have the care, control, and management of
- (A) all the real and personal property of the university; and
- (B) land
- (i) conveyed to the Board of Regents by the commissioner of natural resources in the settlement of the claim of the
University of Alaska to land granted to the state in accordance with the Act of March 4, 1915 (38 Stat. 1214), as
amended, and in accordance with the Act of January 21, 1929 (45 Stat. 1091), as amended; and
- (ii) conveyed to the Board of Regents in trust for the University of Alaska by the commissioner of natural resources under AS 14.40.365
- (5) keep a correct and easily understood record of the minutes of every meeting and all acts done by it in pursuance of
- (6) under procedures to be established by the commissioner of administration, and in accordance with existing procedures
for other state agencies, have the care, control, and management of all money of the university and keep a complete
record of all money received and disbursed;
- (7) adopt reasonable rules for the prudent trust management and the long-term financial benefit to the university of the
land of the university;
- (8) provide public notice of sales, leases, exchanges, and transfers of the land of the university or of interests in land
of the university;
- (9) administer, manage, market, and promote a postsecondary education savings program, including the Alaska Higher
Education Savings Trust under AS 14.40.802
and the Alaska advance college tuition savings fund under AS 14.40.803
- (b) The Board of Regents may
- (1) adopt reasonable rules, orders, and plans with reasonable penalties for the good government of the university and for
the regulation of the Board of Regents;
- (2) determine and regulate the course of instruction in the university with the advice of the president;
- (3) set student tuition and fees;
- (4) receive university receipts and, subject to legislative appropriation, expend university receipts in accordance with
AS 37.07 (Executive Budget Act).
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.