Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 48. Teachers of Alaska Native Language and Culture.
previous: Section 47
. Participation By Special Education Service Agency Employees.
next: Section 50
. Contributions By Members.
AS 14.25.048. Teachers of Alaska Native Language and Culture.
- (a) Except as provided in (d) of this section, an employee employed by a participating employer on or after June 5, 1988,
shall participate in the plan under AS 14.25.009 - 14.25.220 if the employee
- (1) teaches Alaska Native language or culture in a permanent full-time or permanent part-time position;
- (2) learned about the subject to be taught by living in the culture or using the language in daily life; and
- (3) is qualified to teach the subject to elementary or secondary students as required by regulations adopted by the
Department of Education and Early Development.
- (b) An employee or former employee may receive credit for retroactive membership service for employment before June 5,
1988 if the employee or former employee met the requirements listed in (a) of this section at the time of the
employment. To receive credit for the retroactive membership service, the employee or former employee shall claim the
service and pay the retroactive contributions required under AS 14.25.061. However, an employee or former employee may
not receive retroactive credit under this subsection if the employee received credited service under AS 39.35 for the employment.
- (c) An employee or former employee who received credit under AS 39.35 for service that qualifies under (a) of this section may elect
to transfer those periods of employment to the plan. To receive credit for retroactive membership service under this
subsection, the employee or former employee shall claim the service and pay the retroactive contributions required
under AS 14.25.061
- (d) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, an employee employed as a teacher of Alaska Native language and culture and
participating in the Public Employees' Retirement System under AS 39.35 on the day before June 5, 1988 shall remain a member under AS
39.35 unless the employee elects to become a member of the
Teachers' Retirement System on or before September 3, 1988.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.