Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 20. Teachers and School Personnel
- Section 135. Employment of Retired Teachers Because of Shortages.
previous: Section 130
. Employment of Teachers and Administrators.
next: Section 140
. Notification of Lay Off or Nonretention.
AS 14.20.135. Employment of Retired Teachers Because of Shortages.
- (a) A school district or regional educational attendance area that has or anticipates having a shortage of teachers
qualified to teach in a particular discipline or specialty may, by resolution, adopt a policy that permits the
employment of retired teachers who are qualified to teach in the discipline or specialty in accordance with this
section. The policy must describe the circumstances that constitute the shortage. If a shortage of teachers exists as
described in the policy, the district or attendance area shall notify the administrator of the teachers' retirement
system (AS 14.25) that it is hiring retired teachers under this
- (b) A teacher who retired under AS 14.25.110
(a) and is subsequently reemployed under this section may, within 30 days after the date of reemployment, elect to
continue receiving retirement benefit payments under AS 14.25
during the period of reemployment by filing a waiver of coverage as set out in AS 14.25.043
- (c) A school district or regional educational attendance area may not employ a teacher, principal, or administrator who
participated in a retirement incentive program under ch. 26, SLA 1986; ch. 89, SLA 1989; ch. 65, SLA 1996; ch. 4, FSSLA
1996; or ch. 92, SLA 1997, under this section.
- (d) A retired teacher employed under this section is not eligible to acquire, maintain, or reacquire tenure under AS 14.20.150
- (e) If a school district or regional educational attendance area hires a retired teacher under this section and
the retired teacher who has been rehired elects to continue receiving benefit payments during the period of reemployment under AS 14.25.043 (b), the employer of a retired teacher who has been rehired
under this section shall provide health and medical benefits to the retired teacher who has been rehired. If the retired teacher has
been rehired as a full-time teacher, the teacher's employer shall provide the same health and medical benefits to that teacher as the
employer provides to other full-time teachers, and the teacher may not receive retirement medical benefits during the period of
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.