Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 20. Teachers and School Personnel
- Section 17. Grace Period For Issuance of Regular Teacher Certificates to Previously Certificated Teachers.
previous: Section 15
. Recognition of Certificates of Out-of-State Teachers.
next: Section 20
. Requirements For Issuance of Certificate; Fingerprints.
AS 14.20.017. Grace Period For Issuance of Regular Teacher Certificates to Previously Certificated Teachers.
- (a) The department shall issue a teacher certificate as described in AS 14.20.020
, subject to revocation, to a teacher who meets the requirements of this section. To be eligible for a revocable
teacher certificate under this section, a person shall
- (1) have held a valid teacher certificate issued under AS 14.20.020
that expired more than 12 months before the teacher applied for a certificate under this section;
- (2) have paid the fee required by the department under AS 14.20.020(c).
- (b) A revocable teacher certificate issued under this section is valid for one year, during which the teacher shall
complete any requirements for the issuance of a regular teacher certificate under AS 14.20.020
that the teacher has not already met. The department shall expedite the procedures required of teachers holding
revocable teacher certificates who are seeking certification under AS 14.20.020
- (c) A teacher holding a revocable teacher certificate under this section who previously passed the competency examination
designated by the board under AS 14.20.020
(i) is not required to retake the examination before being eligible for a regular certificate under AS 14.20.020. A teacher holding a revocable teacher
certificate who did not previously take or pass the competency examination shall take and pass the examination within
one year after the date the revocable teacher certificate was issued. If the teacher does not pass the examination, the
department shall immediately revoke the revocable teacher certificate.
- (d) A teacher holding a revocable teacher certificate under this section may not receive a teacher certificate issued
under AS 14.20.020
until the teacher submits fingerprints to the department to be used for a criminal history background check and the
teacher has been found by the department to be suitable for employment as a teacher under AS 14.20.020(f).
- (e) The revocable teacher certificate issued under this section must contain the same endorsements as those on the
teacher's expired teacher certificate.
- (f) Employment on the basis of a revocable teacher certificate issued under this section shall be considered in
determining whether a teacher qualifies for tenure under AS 14.20.150
- (g) A revocable teacher certificate and any endorsements issued under this section are valid for one year and may not be
renewed under this section. The department may not issue a provisional certificate or a temporary certificate to a
teacher who has held a teacher certificate issued under this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.