(a) The right of election of a surviving spouse and the rights of the surviving spouse to homestead allowance, exempt property, and family allowance, or to any of them, may be waived, wholly or partially, before or after marriage, by a written contract, agreement, or waiver signed by the surviving spouse.
(b) A surviving spouse’s waiver is not enforceable if the surviving spouse proves that
(1) the surviving spouse did not execute the waiver voluntarily; or
(2) the waiver was unconscionable when it was executed and, before execution of the waiver, the surviving spouse
(A) was not provided a fair and reasonable disclosure of the property or financial obligations of the decedent;
(B) did not voluntarily and expressly waive, in writing, a right to disclosure of the property or financial obligations of the decedent beyond the disclosure provided; and
(C) did not have, or reasonably could not have had, an adequate knowledge of the property or financial obligations of the decedent.
(c) An issue of unconscionability of a waiver is for decision by the court as a matter of law.
(d) Unless it provides to the contrary, a waiver of “all rights,” or equivalent language, in the property or estate of a present or prospective spouse or a complete property settlement entered into after or in anticipation of separation or divorce is a waiver of all rights of elective share, homestead allowance, exempt property, and family allowance by each spouse in the property of the other and a renunciation by each of all benefits that would otherwise pass to the spouse from the other by intestate succession or by virtue of a will executed before the waiver or property settlement.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 13.12.101. Intestate estate.
- Sec. 13.12.103. Share of heirs other than surviving spouse.
- Sec. 13.12.105. No taker.
- Sec. 13.12.107. Kindred of half blood.
- Sec. 13.12.109. Advancements.
- Sec. 13.12.111. Alienage.
- Sec. 13.12.113. Individuals related to decedent through two lines.
- Sec. 13.12.201. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.203. Composition of the augmented estate.
- Sec. 13.12.205. Decedent’s nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.207. Surviving spouse’s property and nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.209. Sources from which elective share payable.
- Sec. 13.12.211. Proceeding for elective share; time limit.
- Sec. 13.12.301. Entitlement of spouse; premarital will.
- Sec. 13.12.401. Applicable law.
- Sec. 13.12.403. Exempt property.
- Sec. 13.12.405. Source, determination, and documentation.
- Sec. 13.12.501. Who may make will.
- Sec. 13.12.504. Self-proved will.
- Sec. 13.12.506. Choice of law as to execution.
- Sec. 13.12.508. Revocation by change of circumstances.
- Sec. 13.12.510. Incorporation by reference.
- Sec. 13.12.512. Events of independent significance.
- Sec. 13.12.514. Contracts concerning succession.
- Sec. 13.12.516. Duty of custodian of will; liability.
- Sec. 13.12.530. Establishment of will validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.535. Establishment of trust validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.540. Venue.
- Sec. 13.12.545. Contents of petition for will validity.
- Sec. 13.12.550. Contents of petition for trust validity.
- Sec. 13.12.555. Declaration by court.
- Sec. 13.12.560. Binding effect of declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.565. Hearing and notice.
- Sec. 13.12.570. Burden of proof.
- Sec. 13.12.575. Change to will after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.580. Change to trust after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.585. Confidentiality.
- Sec. 13.12.590. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.601. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.603. Antilapse; deceased devisee; class gifts.
- Sec. 13.12.605. Increase in securities; accessions.
- Sec. 13.12.607. Nonexoneration.
- Sec. 13.12.609. Ademption by satisfaction.
- Sec. 13.12.701. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.703. Choice of law as to meaning and effect of governing instrument.
- Sec. 13.12.705. Class gifts; terms of relationship.
- Sec. 13.12.707. Survivorship with respect to future interests under terms of trust; substitute takers.
- Sec. 13.12.709. Distribution by representation, per capita at each generation, and per stirpes.
- Sec. 13.12.711. Interests in heirs and other persons.
- Sec. 13.12.720. Family-owned business deduction. Repealed
- Sec. 13.12.802. Effect of divorce, annulment, and decree of separation.
- Sec. 13.12.804. Effect of divorce, annulment, and other changes of circumstances on probate and nonprobate transfers.
- Sec. 13.12.907. Honorary trusts; trusts for pets.
- Sec. 13.12.912. International will; validity.
- Sec. 13.12.914. International will; other points of form.
- Sec. 13.12.916. International will; effect of certificate.
- Sec. 13.12.918. Source and construction.
- Sec. 13.12.920. International will information registration.