(a) A person at a hospital or any other location who renders emergency care or emergency counseling to an injured, ill, or emotionally distraught person who reasonably appears to the person rendering the aid to be in immediate need of emergency aid in order to avoid serious harm or death is not liable for civil damages as a result of an act or omission in rendering emergency aid.
(b) A member of an organization that exists for the purpose of providing emergency services is not liable for civil damages for injury to a person that results from an act or omission in providing first aid, search, rescue, or other emergency services to the person, regardless of whether the member is under a preexisting duty to render assistance, if the member provided the service while acting as a volunteer member of the organization; in this subsection, “volunteer” means a person who is paid not more than $10 a day and a total of not more than $500 a year, not including ski lift tickets and reimbursement for expenses actually incurred, for providing emergency services.
(c) The immunity provided under (b) of this section does not apply to civil damages that result from providing or attempting to provide any of the following advanced life support techniques unless the person who provided them was authorized by law to provide them:
(1) manual electric cardiac defibrillation;
(2) administration of antiarrhythmic agents;
(3) intravenous therapy;
(4) intramuscular therapy; or
(5) use of endotracheal intubation devices.
(d) This section does not preclude liability for civil damages as a result of gross negligence or reckless or intentional misconduct.
(e) [Repealed, § 2 ch 92 SLA 2003.]
(f) [Repealed, § 2 ch 92 SLA 2003.]
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 09.65.070. Suits against incorporated units of local government.
- Sec. 09.65.080. Suits by incorporated units of local government.
- Sec. 09.65.083. Civil liability of nonprofit and university fire departments.
- Sec. 09.65.085. Civil liability of electric utility.
- Sec. 09.65.087. Civil liability for use of an automated external defibrillator. Repealed
- Sec. 09.65.092. Civil liability for voluntary aircraft safety inspection.
- Sec. 09.65.094. Liability for inspection, installation, or adjustment of a child safety seat.
- Sec. 09.65.096. Civil liability of hospitals for certain physicians.
- Sec. 09.65.112. Civil liability for aircraft and watercraft guest passengers. Repealed
- Sec. 09.65.145. Liability for injuries or death resulting from livestock activities.
- Sec. 09.65.150. Duty to disabled pedestrians.
- Sec. 09.65.155. Civil liability of firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer.
- Sec. 09.65.160. Immunity for good faith disclosures of job performance information.
- Sec. 09.65.170. Limited liability of certain directors and officers.
- Sec. 09.65.180. Civil liability of zoos.
- Sec. 09.65.200. Tort immunity for personal injuries or death occurring on unimproved land.
- Sec. 09.65.202. Tort immunity for landowners’ allowing recreational activity; adverse possession.
- Sec. 09.65.205. Civil liability for controlled substances offense.
- Sec. 09.65.210. Damages resulting from commission of a felony or while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Sec. 09.65.215. Immunity of peace officer for use of body wire eavesdropping device.
- Sec. 09.65.220. Immunity for certain real property disclosures.
- Sec. 09.65.230. Innocent misrepresentations by agents in real property transfers.
- Sec. 09.65.235. Immunity for negotiated regulation making committee and its members.
- Sec. 09.65.240. Liability of the state and regional educational attendance areas for release of hazardous substances.
- Sec. 09.65.245. Immunity for certain persons supplying or using gravel or other aggregate material; limitations on asbestos-related actions against defendants.
- Sec. 09.65.250. Immunity for certain actions related to child support.
- Sec. 09.65.255. Liability for acts of minors. Repealed
- Sec. 09.65.270. Civil immunity related to the sale or transfer of a firearm.
- Sec. 09.65.280. Civil liability of state for acts or omissions of village public safety officers.
- Sec. 09.65.290. Civil liability for sports or recreational activities.
- Sec. 09.65.292. Parental waiver of child’s negligence claim against provider of sports or recreational activity.
- Sec. 09.65.295. Liability involving a peace officer or firefighter.
- Sec. 09.65.300. Immunity for providing free health care services.
- Sec. 09.65.305. Immunity for distributing free recycled used eyeglasses. Repealed
- Sec. 09.65.315. Damages resulting from driving the vehicle of a person under the influence of an alcoholic beverage.
- Sec. 09.65.320. Nonrecovery for damages for noneconomic losses resulting from operating a motor vehicle while uninsured.
- Sec. 09.65.330. Immunity: Use of defensive force.
- Sec. 09.65.340. Immunity for prescribing, providing, or administering an opioid overdose drug.
- Sec. 09.65.350. Immunity for certain actions related to transportation network companies.