- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 3. Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act
- Section 360. Definitions.
previous: Section 350
. Attorney Fees.
next: Section 370
AS 34.03.360. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "abandonment" means that the tenant has left the dwelling unit and the tenant's personal belongings in it and has been
absent for a continuous period of seven days or longer without giving notice under AS 34.03.150
and has defaulted in the payment of rent;
- (2) "building and housing codes" include any law, ordinance, or governmental regulation concerning fitness for habitation,
or the construction, maintenance, operation, occupancy, use, or appearance of a premise or dwelling unit;
- (3) "dwelling unit" means a structure or a part of a structure that is used as a home, residence, or sleeping place by one
person who maintains a household or by two or more persons who maintain a common household, and includes mobile homes,
and if located in a mobile home park, the lot or space upon which a mobile home is placed;
- (4) "fair rental value" means the average rental rate in the community for available dwelling units of similar size and
- (5) "good faith" means honesty in fact in the conduct of the transaction concerned;
- (6) "illegal activity involving alcoholic beverages" means a person's delivery of an alcoholic beverage in violation of AS
(b) in an area where the results of a local option election have, under AS 04.11.491, prohibited the Alcoholic Beverage Control
Board from issuing, renewing, or transferring a liquor license or permit under AS 04;
- (7) "illegal activity involving a controlled substance" means a violation of AS 11.71.010
(a), 11.71.020(a), 11.71.030(a)(1) or (2), or 11.71.040(a)(1), (2), or (5);
- (8) "illegal activity involving gambling or promoting gambling" means a violation of
- (A) AS 11.66.200
, other than a social game as that term is defined by AS 11.66.280
- (B) AS 11.66.210
- (9) "illegal activity involving an imitation controlled substance" means a violation of AS 11.73.010
- (10) "illegal activity involving a place of prostitution" means a violation of AS 11.66.120
(a)(1) or 11.66.130(a)(1) or (4);
- (11) "landlord" means the owner, lessor, or sublessor of the dwelling unit or the building of which it is a part, and it
also means a manager of the premises who fails to disclose as required by AS 34.03.080
- (12) "organization" includes a corporation, government, governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust,
partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, and any other legal entity;
- (13) "owner" means one or more persons, jointly or severally, in whom is vested all or part of the legal title to property
or all or part of the beneficial ownership of property and a right to present use of the premises; the term includes a
mortgagee in possession;
- (14) "premises" means a dwelling unit and the structure of which it is a part and facilities and appurtenances in it and
grounds, areas, and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or whose use is promised to the tenant;
- (15) "prepaid rent" means that amount of money demanded by the landlord at the initiation of the tenancy for the purpose of
ensuring that rent will be paid, but does not include the first month's rent or money received as security for damage;
- (16) "prostitution" means an act in violation of AS 11.66.100
- (17) "rent" means the uniform periodic payment due the landlord, however denominated;
- (18) "rental agreement" means all agreements, written or oral, and valid rules and regulations adopted under AS 34.03.130
embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises;
- (19) "sanitary facility" means a flush toilet and proper drainage for all toilets, sinks, basins, bathtubs, and showers;
- (20) "single family residence" means a structure maintained and used as a single dwelling unit;
- (21) "tenant" means a person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others;
- (22) "undeveloped rural area" means an area where public sewer or water services are not available.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.