(a) Upon filing the accusation, the agency
(1) shall serve a copy of the accusation on the respondent as provided in (c) of this section;
(2) shall include with the accusation a post card or other form entitled “Notice of Defense” that, when signed by or on behalf of the respondent and returned to the agency, acknowledges service of the accusation and constitutes a notice of defense under AS 44.62.390;
(3) shall include in or with the copy of the accusation a statement that respondent may request a hearing by filing a notice of defense as provided in AS 44.62.390 within 15 days after the accusation is served on the respondent and that failure to do so constitutes a waiver of the right to a hearing;
(4) may include with the accusation any information that it considers appropriate.
(b) The statement to respondent must be substantially in the following form:
Unless a written request for a hearing signed by or on behalf of the person named as respondent in the accompanying accusation is delivered or mailed to the agency within 15 days after the accusation was personally served on you or mailed to you, (here insert name of agency) may proceed upon the accusation without a hearing. The request for a hearing may be made by delivering or mailing the enclosed form entitled “Notice of Defense,” or by delivering or mailing a notice of defense as provided by AS 44.62.390 to: (here insert name and address of agency).
(c) The accusation and all accompanying information may be sent to the respondent by any means selected by the agency. However, the agency may not make an order adversely affecting the rights of the respondent unless the respondent is served personally or by certified mail, files a notice of defense, or otherwise appears. Service may be proved in the manner authorized in civil actions. Service by certified mail is effective if a statute or agency regulation requires the respondent to file an address with the agency and to notify the agency of a change, and if a certified letter containing the accusation and accompanying material is mailed, addressed to respondent at the latest address on file with the agency.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 44.62.010. Application to State Organization Act of 1959.
- Sec. 44.62.020. Authority to adopt, administer, or enforce regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.030. Consistency between regulation and statute.
- Sec. 44.62.040. Submitting regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.050. Style and forms.
- Sec. 44.62.060. Preparation and filing.
- Sec. 44.62.070. Fees.
- Sec. 44.62.080. Endorsement and filing.
- Sec. 44.62.090. Filing with local government unit clerks. [Repealed, § 2 ch 57 SLA 1969.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.100. Presumptions from filing.
- Sec. 44.62.110. Presumptions from publication.
- Sec. 44.62.120. Voluntary submitting and publication.
- Sec. 44.62.125. Regulations attorney.
- Sec. 44.62.130. Codification and publication.
- Sec. 44.62.140. Distribution of code and register.
- Sec. 44.62.150. Price. [Repealed, § 49 ch 127 SLA 1974.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.160. Date and content of register.
- Sec. 44.62.170. Form of publication. [Repealed, § 2 ch 57 SLA 1969.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.175. Alaska Online Public Notice System.
- Sec. 44.62.180. Effective date.
- Sec. 44.62.190. Notice of proposed action.
- Sec. 44.62.195. Fiscal notes on regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.200. Contents of notice.
- Sec. 44.62.210. Public proceedings.
- Sec. 44.62.213. Agency contact with the public.
- Sec. 44.62.215. Record of public comment.
- Sec. 44.62.218. Regulations affecting small businesses. [Repealed, § 2 ch 91 SLA 2005.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.220. Right to petition.
- Sec. 44.62.230. Procedure on petition.
- Sec. 44.62.240. Limitation on retroactive action.
- Sec. 44.62.245. Material incorporated by reference.
- Sec. 44.62.250. Emergency regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.260. Limitation on effective period of emergency regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.270. State policy.
- Sec. 44.62.280. Purpose of AS 44.62.180
- Sec. 44.62.290. Limits of the application of AS 44.62.180
- Sec. 44.62.300. Judicial review of validity.
- Sec. 44.62.305. Judicial relief in administrative matters.
- Sec. 44.62.310. Government meetings public.
- Sec. 44.62.312. State policy regarding meetings.
- Sec. 44.62.319. Short title.
- Sec. 44.62.330. Application of AS 44.62.330
- Sec. 44.62.340. Delegation of power by agencies.
- Sec. 44.62.350. Appointment of hearing officers.
- Sec. 44.62.360. Accusation.
- Sec. 44.62.370. Statement of issues.
- Sec. 44.62.390. Notice of defense.
- Sec. 44.62.400. Amended or supplemental accusation.
- Sec. 44.62.410. Time and place of hearing.
- Sec. 44.62.420. Form of notice of hearing.
- Sec. 44.62.430. Subpoenas; witness fees.
- Sec. 44.62.440. Depositions.
- Sec. 44.62.450. Hearings.
- Sec. 44.62.460. Evidence rules.
- Sec. 44.62.470. Evidence by affidavit.
- Sec. 44.62.480. Official notice.
- Sec. 44.62.490. Amendment of accusation after submission.
- Sec. 44.62.500. Decision in a contested case.
- Sec. 44.62.510. Form and retroactivity of decision.
- Sec. 44.62.520. Effective date of decision; stay.
- Sec. 44.62.530. Default.
- Sec. 44.62.540. Reconsideration.
- Sec. 44.62.550. Petition for reinstatement or reduction of penalty.
- Sec. 44.62.560. Judicial review.
- Sec. 44.62.570. Scope of review.
- Sec. 44.62.580. Continuances.
- Sec. 44.62.590. Contempt.
- Sec. 44.62.600. Voting procedure.
- Sec. 44.62.610. Charge.
- Sec. 44.62.620. Power to administer oaths.
- Sec. 44.62.630. Impartiality.
- Sec. 44.62.635. [Renumbered as AS 44.62.930 Renumbered
- Sec. 44.62.640. Definitions for AS 44.62.010
- Sec. 44.62.650. [Renumbered as AS 44.62.950 Renumbered
- Sec. 44.62.710. Purpose and applicability of AS 44.62.710
- Sec. 44.62.720. Determination of need for negotiated regulation making committee.
- Sec. 44.62.730. Use of convener.
- Sec. 44.62.740. Establishment, time line, support, and termination of committee.
- Sec. 44.62.750. Committee duties, procedures, and report.
- Sec. 44.62.760. Facilitator selection, duties, and authority.
- Sec. 44.62.770. Employees, contractors, and funding.
- Sec. 44.62.780. Judicial review.
- Sec. 44.62.790. Relationship to other requirements.
- Sec. 44.62.795. Confidentiality of certain records and documents.
- Sec. 44.62.800. Definitions. Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.930. Teleconferencing.
- Sec. 44.62.950. Short title.