- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 41. Public Resources
- Chapter 6. Geothermal Resources
- Section 50. Relationship of Geothermal Resources to Water.
previous: Section 40
. Drilling Regulations.
next: Section 60
AS 41.06.050. Relationship of Geothermal Resources to Water.
- (a) An operator shall, before drilling or constructing a geothermal well or group of wells to be operated in concert, file
an application with the commissioner for approval to drill the well or wells. The date of filing of the application
establishes priority as to later appropriators of nongeothermal fluids. The application must contain sufficient
information to enable the commissioner to determine whether the operation of the well or wells will interfere with or
impair a prior water right.
- (b) An operator may not begin well drilling or construction without the approval of the commissioner. The commissioner
shall approve the well construction upon the conditions necessary to protect the public interest, if
- (1) the proposed geothermal operation will not significantly interfere with or substantially impair a prior water right;
- (2) the geothermal owner has acquired through purchase or condemnation adequate water rights to offset the potential
interference or impairment; or
- (3) the geothermal owner has obtained and dedicated to the affected party or parties an equivalent amount of replacement
water of comparable quality.
- (c) Geothermal fluid is not subject to appropriation under AS 46.15
and priority may not be established among geothermal owners in a geothermal system.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.