- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 41. Public Resources
- Chapter 6. Geothermal Resources
- Section 40. Drilling Regulations.
previous: Section 30
. Reservoir Management.
next: Section 50
. Relationship of Geothermal Resources to Water.
AS 41.06.040. Drilling Regulations.
- (a) The commissioner shall adopt regulations in accordance with AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act) relating to the siting,
spacing, drilling, casing, cementing, testing, logging, operating, producing, and abandonment of geothermal wells so as
- (1) geothermal resources, water or other fluids, and gases from escaping into strata other than that in which they are
found, unless in accordance with an approved reinjection program;
- (2) contamination of surface and groundwater;
- (3) premature degradation of a geothermal system by water encroachment or otherwise;
- (4) blowouts, cavings, and seepage; and
- (5) unreasonable disturbance or injury to neighboring properties, prior water rights, human life, health, and the natural
- (b) The commissioner shall cause the operator of a geothermal well or wells to file adequate individual or blanket surety
bonds to ensure compliance with regulations adopted under this section.
- (c) The commissioner shall require a geothermal operator to notify the department if the operator discovers significant
quantities of hydrocarbon substances, helium, or fissionable materials.
- (d) The commissioner may enter upon any property, public or private, to inspect a geothermal operation for compliance with
regulations adopted under this section.
- (e) Geothermal fluid and water of sufficient heat or pressure to constitute a threat to human life or health that are
regulated by the commissioner under this chapter are exempt from the jurisdiction of the Alaska Oil and Gas
Conservation Commission under AS 31.05.030
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.