Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 22. Insurance Holding Companies
- Section 100. Dividends and Other Distributions.
previous: Section 90
. Adequacy of Surplus.
next: Section 105
. Management of Domestic Insurers Subject to Registration.
AS 21.22.100. Dividends and Other Distributions.
- (a) A domestic insurer may not pay any extraordinary dividend or make any other extraordinary distribution to its
- (1) 30 days after the director has received notice of the declaration of the dividend or distribution and has not within
that period disapproved its payment; or
- (2) the director has approved its payment within the 30-day period.
- (b) For purposes of this section, an extraordinary dividend or distribution includes a dividend or distribution of cash or
other property, the fair market value of which together with that of other dividends or distributions made within the
preceding 12 months exceeds the lesser of (1) 10 percent of the insurer's surplus as regards policyholders as of
December 31 of the preceding year; or (2) the net gain from operations of the insurer, if the insurer is a life
insurer, or the net investment income, if the insurer is not a life insurer, for the 12-month period ending December 31
of the preceding year; but does not include pro rata distributions of any class of the insurer's own securities. In
determining whether a dividend or distribution is extraordinary, an insurer other than a life insurer may carry forward
net income from the previous two calendar years that has not already been paid out as dividends. The carry forward
provision shall be computed by taking the net income from the second and third preceding calendar years, not including
realized capital gains, less dividends paid in the second and immediate preceding calendar years.
- (c) Notwithstanding AS 21.69.490
, an insurer may declare an extraordinary dividend or distribution that is conditional upon the director's approval. A
declaration confers no rights upon shareholders until
- (1) the director has approved the payment of the dividend or distribution; or
- (2) the director has not disapproved the payment within the 30-day period referred to in (a) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.