Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 22. Insurance Holding Companies
- Section 60. Registration Required.
previous: Section 50
. Jurisdiction and Consent to Service.
next: Section 65
. Acquisitions Involving Change of Control.
AS 21.22.060. Registration Required.
- (a) Every insurer that is authorized to do business in this state and that is a member of an insurance holding company
system shall register with the director. An insurer that is subject to registration under this section shall register
within 60 days after January 1, 1977 or 15 days after it becomes subject to registration, whichever is later, unless
the director for good cause shown extends the time for registration; if the time is extended, the insurer shall
register within the extended time.
- (b) Every insurer subject to registration shall file a registration statement, on a form provided by the director, that
must contain current information about
- (1) the capital structure, general financial condition, ownership, and management of the insurer and any person
controlling the insurer;
- (2) the identity of every member of the insurance holding company system;
- (3) the following agreements in force, relationships subsisting, and transactions currently outstanding between the
insurer and its affiliates:
- (A) loans, other investments, or purchases, sales, or exchanges of securities of the affiliates by the insurer or of the
insurer by its affiliates;
- (B) purchases, sales, or exchanges of assets;
- (C) transactions not in the ordinary course of business;
- (D) guarantees or undertakings for the benefit of an affiliate that result in an actual contingent exposure of the
insurer's assets to liability, other than insurance contracts entered into in the ordinary course of the insurer's
- (E) all management and service contracts and all cost-sharing arrangements; and
- (F) reinsurance agreements; and
- (4) other matters concerning transactions between registered insurers and any affiliates that may be included from time to
time in a registration form adopted or approved by the director.
- (c) The director may permit an authorized insurer that is a member of a holding company system subject to registration
under the laws or regulations of its state of domicile that are in the opinion of the director substantially similar to
those contained in this chapter to satisfy the requirements of (a) of this section by filing a statement in accordance
with the laws of its state of domicile.
- (d) Information need not be disclosed on the registration statement filed under (b) of this section if that information is
not material for the purposes of this section. Unless the director by regulation or order provides otherwise, sales,
purchases, exchanges, loans or extensions of credit, investments, or the aggregate of a series of related transactions,
involving one-half of one percent or less of an insurer's admitted assets or five percent or less of the policyholder's
surplus as of the 31st day of December of the calendar year in which the transaction took place are not considered
material for purposes of this section.
- (e) Each registered insurer shall keep current the information required to be disclosed in its registration statement by
reporting all material changes or additions on amendment forms provided by the director within 30 days after the end of
the month in which it learns of each change or addition; however, subject to AS 21.22.100
, each registered insurer shall report all dividends and other distributions to shareholders within two business days
following their declaration.
- (f) The director shall terminate the registration of an insurer that demonstrates that it no longer is a member of an
insurance holding company system.
- (g) The director may require or allow two or more affiliated insurers subject to registration under this section to file a
consolidated registration statement or consolidated reports amending their consolidated registration statement or their
individual registration statements.
- (h) The director may allow an insurer that is authorized to do business in this state and that is part of an insurance
holding company system to register on behalf of an affiliated insurer that is required to register under (a) of this
section and to file all information and material required to be filed under this section.
- (i) This section does not apply to any insurer, information, or transaction to the extent that the director by regulation
or order exempts the insurer, information, or transaction from this section.
- (j) A person may file with the director a disclaimer of affiliation with an authorized insurer or the disclaimer may be
filed by the insurer or a member of an insurance holding company system. The disclaimer must fully disclose all
material relationships and bases for affiliation between that person and that insurer as well as the basis for
disclaiming the affiliation. After a disclaimer has been filed, the insurer is relieved of any duty to register or
report under this section that may arise out of the insurer's relationship with that person until the director
disallows the disclaimer. The director shall disallow a disclaimer only after furnishing all parties in interest with
notice and opportunity to be heard and after making specific findings of fact to support the disallowance.
- (k) An insurer subject to registration under (a) of this section shall register annually by April 1 of each year for the
previous calendar year unless, for good cause shown, the director extends the time for registration. The director may
require an insurer that is allowed to register as provided under (c) of this section, to furnish a copy of
- (1) the registration statement;
- (2) the summary specified in (l) of this section; or
- (3) other information filed by the insurer with the insurance regulatory authority of the insurer's state of domicile.
- (l) An annual registration statement filed under (k) of this section must contain a summary outline of items in the
current registration statement representing changes from the prior registration statement.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.