Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 22. Insurance Holding Companies
- Section 10. Filing Requirements For Acquisition of Control of or Merger With Domestic Insurer.
previous: Chapter 22
. Insurance Holding Companies
next: Section 20
. Content of Statement For Acquisition or Merger Filing.
AS 21.22.010. Filing Requirements For Acquisition of Control of or Merger With Domestic Insurer.
- (a) Until the provisions of (b) of this section have been fulfilled, a person may not:
- (1) make a tender or an offer for or a request or an invitation for tenders of, or enter into any agreement to exchange
securities for, seek to acquire, or acquire, in the open market or otherwise, any voting security of a domestic insurer
if, after the purchase, the person would, directly or indirectly or by conversion or by exercise of any right to
acquire, be in control of the insurer; or
- (2) enter into an agreement to merge with or otherwise to acquire control of a domestic insurer.
- (b) A statement containing the information required by AS 21.22.020
shall be filed by the person making a proposal described in (a) of this section with the director before the time
copies of the proposal are first published, sent, or given to security holders of the insurer. The insurer shall
publish, send, or give copies of the statement to the insurer's stockholders. The proposal is subject to approval by
the director under AS 21.22.030
- (c) If a proposal described in (a) of this section is to be made by means of a registration statement under 15 U.S.C. 77a
- 77aa (Securities Act of 1933) or in circumstances requiring the disclosure of similar information under 15 U.S.C. 78a
- 78mm (Securities Exchange Act of 1934), or under a state law requiring similar registration or disclosure, the person
required to file the statement under (b) of this section may use those documents in furnishing the information called
for by that statement. However, the director may require the person making the proposal to produce other information
the director considers necessary to carry out the duties of the director under this chapter.
- (d) If the person required to file the statement under (b) of this section is a partnership, limited partnership,
syndicate, or other group, the director may require that the information be given with respect to each
- (1) partner of the partnership or limited partnership;
- (2) member of the syndicate or group; and
- (3) person who controls a partner or member.
- (e) If any person, partner, or member required to file the statement under (b) of this section is a corporation, the
director may require that the information be given with respect to
- (1) that corporation;
- (2) each officer and director of that corporation; and
- (3) each person who is directly or indirectly the beneficial owner of more than 10 percent of the outstanding voting
securities of that corporation.
- (f) If any material change occurs in the facts set out in the statement filed with the director and sent to the insurer
under this section, an amendment setting out the change, together with copies of all documents and other material
relevant to the change, shall be filed with the director and sent to the insurer within two business days after the
person learns of the change. The insurer shall send the amendment to its shareholders.
- (g) The provisions of this section do not apply to
- (1) [Repealed, Sec. 21 ch 72 SLA 2000].
- (2) an offer, request, invitation, agreement, or acquisition that the director by order may exempt as not having been made
or entered into for the purpose and not having the effect of changing or influencing the control of the domestic
- (h) In this section, "domestic insurer" includes any person controlling a domestic insurer unless that person is either
directly or through its affiliates primarily engaged in business other than the business of insurance.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.