Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 7. Administration of Public Schools
- Section 30. Powers of the Department.
previous: Section 20
. Duties of the Department.
next: Section 35
. Accounting and Disposition of Receipts. [Repealed, Sec. 28 Ch 90 SLA 1991].
AS 14.07.030. Powers of the Department.
The department may
- (1) establish, maintain, govern, operate, discontinue, and combine area, regional, and special schools;
- (2) enter into contractual agreements with the Bureau of Indian Affairs or with a school district to share boarding costs
of secondary school students;
- (3) provide for citizenship night schools when and where expedient;
- (4) provide for the sale or other disposition of abandoned or obsolete buildings and other state-owned school property;
- (5) prescribe a classification for items of expense of school districts;
- (6) acquire and transfer personal property, acquire real property, and transfer real property to federal agencies, state
agencies, or to political subdivisions;
- (7) enter into contractual agreements with school districts to provide more efficient or economical education services;
reasonable fees may be charged by the department to cover the costs of providing services under an agreement, including
costs for professional services, reproduction or printing, and mailing and distribution of educational materials;
- (8) provide for the issuance of elementary and secondary diplomas to persons not in school who have completed the
equivalent of an 8th or 12th grade education, respectively, in accordance with standards established by the department;
- (9) apply for, accept, and spend endowments, grants, and other private money available to the state for educational
purposes in accordance with AS 37.07 (Executive Budget Act);
- (10) set student tuition and fees for educational and extracurricular programs and services provided and schools operated
by the department under the provisions of (1) of this section and AS 14.07.020
(a)(9), (11), and (12);
- (11) charge fees to cover the costs of care and handling with respect to the acquisition, warehousing, distribution, or
transfer of donated foods;
- (12) establish and collect fees for the rental of school facilities and for other programs and services provided by the
- (13) develop a model curriculum and provide technical assistance for early childhood education programs.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.