Made available by
Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.
You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.
(a) The purpose of this management plan is to establish the allocation of sockeye salmon between the commercial set and drift gillnet fisheries within the Ugashik District and to establish management measures for the department to achieve the allocation.
(b) Consistent with 5 AAC 06.355 and other applicable provisions of this chapter, the department shall manage the Ugashik District set and drift gillnet fisheries during the fishing periods specified in 5 AAC 06.320(c) (1) to achieve biological escapement goals into the Ugashik River and to distribute the harvestable surplus of sockeye salmon to the drift and set gillnet fisheries as follows:
(1) drift gillnet - 90 percent; and
(2) set gillnet - 10 percent.
(c) For the purpose of calculating the set and drift gillnet allocation percentages specified in (b) of this section, the accounting period is from June 1 through 9:00 a.m. July 17, or at the end of any emergency order period specified in (d)(4) of this section.
(d) To achieve the allocations specified in (b) of this section, consistent with the management principles of 5 AAC 06.355 and other applicable provisions of this chapter, the commissioner
(1) may establish, by emergency order, concurrent set and drift gillnet open fishing periods; set and drift gillnet fishing periods may be established at different times to obtain the set and drift gillnet sockeye salmon allocations specified in (b) of this section or at other times consistent with 5 AAC 06.355;
(2) may use short open commercial fishing periods so that all user groups have the opportunity to harvest fish;
(3) address changing conditions using publicized short notice openings;
(4) after July 17, may establish, by emergency order, fishing periods other than the fishing periods specified in 5 AAC 06.320(c) (2) during which the registration, reregistration, and the 48-hour notification period specified in 5 AAC 06.370 will apply.
(e) If escapement in the Ugashik District is projected to exceed the minimum of the escapement goal range, the fishery may be allowed into the Ugashik River Special Harvest Area described in 5 AAC 06.357.
(f) When the preseason forecast for the Kvichak River sockeye salmon run does not provide for an exploitation rate of greater than 40 percent it is the intent of the Board of Fisheries that
(1) from June 16 - June 23, the department may not allow more than 48-hours of fishing in the Ugashik District; and
(2) when the Naknek River Special Harvest Plan under 5 AAC 06.360 is also in effect, the Ugashik District boundary will consist of all waters south of a line between 57ΓΈ 43.90' N. lat., 157ΓΈ 43.00' W. long. and 57ΓΈ 43.54' N. lat., 157ΓΈ 41.82' W. long., and east of a line between 57ΓΈ 43.90' N. lat., 157ΓΈ 43.00' W. long. and 57ΓΈ 29.10' N. lat., 157ΓΈ 53.20' W. long. until June 29; on June 29 the Ugashik boundary will be restored to its original boundary specified in 5 AAC 06.200(d) .
History: Eff. 6/10/90, Register 114; am 3/1/92, Register 122; am 6/19/92, Register 122; am 5/14/98, Register 146; am 6/3/2001, Register 158
Authority: AS 16.05.060
Note to HTML Version:
The Alaska Administrative Code was automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, but neither Touch N' Go Systems nor the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein can be held responsible for any possible errors. This version of the Alaska Administrative Code is current through June, 2006.
If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Administrative Code be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. Recent editions of the Alaska Administrative Journal may be obtained from the Alaska Lieutenant Governor's Office on the world wide web. If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful. Copyright 2006. Touch N' Go Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified 7/05/2006