Made available by
Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.
You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.
(a) The purpose of this management plan is to establish the allocation of sockeye salmon between the commercial set and drift gillnet fisheries within the Naknek-Kvichak District and to establish management measures for the department to achieve the allocation.
(b) Consistent with 5 AAC 06.355 and other applicable provisions of this chapter, the department shall manage the Naknek-Kvichak District set and drift gillnet fisheries during the fishing periods specified in 5 AAC 06.320(c) (1) to achieve biological escapement goals into the Kvichak and Naknek River systems and to distribute the harvestable surplus of sockeye salmon to the drift and set gillnet fisheries as follows:
(1) drift gillnet - 84 percent; and
(2) set gillnet - 16 percent as follows:
(A) Kvichak Section set gillnet fishery - eight percent; and
(B) Naknek Section set gillnet fishery - eight percent;
(3) notwithstanding (2)(A) and (B) of this subsection, when the Naknek-Kvichak District is closed and there is a harvestable surplus of sockeye salmon in the Naknek River Special Harvest Area, the distribution of harvestable surplus will be as follows:
(A) drift gillnet - 84 percent; and
(B) set gillnet - 16 percent.
(c) For the purpose of calculating the set and drift gillnet allocation percentages specified in (b) of this section, the accounting period is from June 1 through 9:00 a.m. July 17.
(d) To achieve the allocations specified in (b) of this section, consistent with the management principles of 5 AAC 06.355 and other applicable provisions of this chapter, the commissioner
(1) may establish, by emergency order, concurrent set and drift gillnet open fishing periods; set and drift gillnet fishing periods may be established at different times to obtain the set and drift gillnet sockeye salmon allocations specified in (b) of this section or at other times consistent with 5 AAC 06.355;
(2) may commence the concurrent open fishing periods at the seven foot tide level;
(3) may use short open commercial fishing periods so that all user groups have the opportunity to harvest fish;
(4) may address changing conditions using publicized short notice openings.
(e) To ensure adequate Kvichak River sockeye salmon spawning escapement goals, the department shall manage, to the extent practicable, a fishery in the Naknek Section to minimize fishing with set and drift gillnet gear during the ebb tide.
History: Eff. 5/14/98, Register 146; am 4/9/2004, Register 170
Authority: AS 16.05.060
Note to HTML Version:
The Alaska Administrative Code was automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, but neither Touch N' Go Systems nor the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein can be held responsible for any possible errors. This version of the Alaska Administrative Code is current through June, 2006.
If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Administrative Code be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. Recent editions of the Alaska Administrative Journal may be obtained from the Alaska Lieutenant Governor's Office on the world wide web. If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful. Copyright 2006. Touch N' Go Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified 7/05/2006