- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 12. Delinquent Minors
- Section 990. Definitions.
previous: Section 988
. Implementation of Provisions By An Entity Selected By Department.
next: Chapter 14
. Juvenile Programs and Institutions
AS 47.12.990. Definitions.
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires,
- (1) "commissioner" means the commissioner of health and social services;
- (2) "court" means the superior court of the state;
- (3) "crime against a person" means an offense set out in AS 11.41;
- (4) "delinquent minor" means a minor found to be within the jurisdiction of the court under AS 47.12.020
- (5) "department" means the Department of Health and Social Services;
- (6) "gravely disabled" has the meaning given in AS 47.30.915
- (7) "juvenile detention facility" means separate quarters within a city jail used for the detention of delinquent minors;
- (8) "juvenile detention home" or "detention home" is a separate establishment, exclusively devoted to the detention of
minors on a short-term basis and not a part of an adult jail;
- (9) "juvenile work camp" means a separate residential establishment, exclusively devoted to the detention of minors, in
which the minors who are 16 years of age or older and committed to the custody of the department and placed in the
facility may be required to labor on the buildings and grounds or perform any other work or engage in any activities
that do not conflict with regulations adopted by the Department of Health and Social Services under this chapter for
the care, rehabilitation, education, and discipline of minors in detention;
- (10) "mental health professional" has the meaning given in AS 47.30.915, except that, if the minor is placed in another
state by the department, "mental health professional" also includes a professional listed in the definition of "mental
health professional" in AS 47.30.915 who is not licensed to practice by a board of this
state but is licensed by a corresponding licensing authority to practice in the state in which the minor is placed;
- (11) "mental illness" has the meaning given in AS 47.30.915
- (12) "minor" means a person under 18 years of age;
- (13) "peace officer" has the meaning given in AS 11.81.900
- (14) "secure residential psychiatric treatment center" has the meaning given "residential psychiatric
treatment center" in AS 47.32.900;
- (15) "treatment facility" means a hospital, clinic, institution, center, or other health care facility that has been
designated by the department for the treatment of juveniles;
- (16) "victim" has the meaning given in AS 12.55.185
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.