- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 53. Cigarette Sales
- Section 100. Definitions.
previous: Section 40
. Certification of Compliance; Civil Actions.
next: Chapter 55
. Alaska Securities Act
AS 45.53.100. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "adjusted for inflation" means increased in accordance with the formula for inflation adjustment set out in Exhibit C
to the Master Settlement Agreement;
- (2) "affiliate" means a person who directly or indirectly owns or controls, is owned or controlled by, or is under common
ownership or control with, another person; in this paragraph,
- (A) "owns," "is owned," and "ownership" mean ownership of an equity interest, or the equivalent thereof, of 10 percent or
- (B) "person" means an individual, a partnership, a committee, an association, a corporation, or any other organization or
group of persons;
- (3) "allocable share" means allocable share as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement;
- (4) "cigarette"
- (A) means any product that contains nicotine, is intended to be burned or heated under ordinary conditions of use, and
consists of or contains
- (i) any roll of tobacco wrapped in paper or in any substance not containing tobacco;
- (ii) tobacco, in any form, that is functional in the product, which, because of its appearance, the type of tobacco used in
the filler, or its packaging and labeling is likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as a cigarette; or
- (iii) any roll of tobacco wrapped in any substance containing tobacco which, because of its appearance, the type of tobacco
used in the filler, or its packaging and labeling, is likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as a
cigarette described in (i) of this subparagraph;
- (B) includes "roll-your-own"; for purposes of this subparagraph,
- (i) 0.09 ounces of "roll-your-own" tobacco constitutes one individual "cigarette;"
- (ii) "roll-your-own" includes any tobacco that, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling is suitable for use
and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes;
- (5) "Master Settlement Agreement" means the settlement agreement and related documents described in AS 45.53.010
- (6) "original participating manufacturer" means "original participating manufacturer" as that term is defined in the
Master Settlement Agreement;
- (7) "qualified escrow fund" means a fund described in AS 45.53.020(c);
- (8) "released claims" means "released claims" as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement;
- (9) "releasing parties" means "releasing parties" as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement;
- (10) "tobacco product manufacturer"
- (A) means an entity that, on or after June 4, 1999, directly, and not exclusively through an affiliate,
- (i) manufactures cigarettes anywhere that such manufacturer intends to be sold in the United States, including cigarettes
intended to be sold in the United States through an importer; provided, however, that an entity that manufactures
cigarettes that it intends to be sold in the United States shall not be considered to be a tobacco product manufacturer
under this clause (i) if, first, such cigarettes are sold in the United States exclusively through an importer that is
an original participating manufacturer, as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement, that will be
responsible for the payments under the Master Settlement Agreement with respect to such cigarettes as a result of the
provisions of sec. II(mm) of the Master Settlement Agreement and that pays the taxes specified in sec. II(z) of the
Master Settlement Agreement, and, second, the manufacturer of such cigarettes does not market or advertise such
cigarettes in the United States;
- (ii) is the first purchaser anywhere for resale in the United States of cigarettes manufactured anywhere that the
manufacturer does not intend to be sold in the United States; or
- (iii) becomes a successor of an entity described in (i) or (ii) of this subparagraph;
- (B) does not include an affiliate of an entity described in (A) of this paragraph unless the affiliate itself meets the
standards set out in any of (A)(i) - (iii) of this paragraph;
- (11) "units sold" means the number of individual cigarettes sold in the state by the applicable tobacco product
manufacturer, whether directly or through a distributor, retailer, or similar intermediary or intermediaries, during
the year in question, as measured by excise taxes collected by the state on packs or "roll-your-own" tobacco
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.