- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 25. Motor Vehicle Transactions
- Section 150. Required Compensation For New Motor Vehicle Dealer Facilities.
previous: Section 140
. Repurchase Obligations On Termination.
next: Section 160
. Prevention of or Refusal to Honor Transfer of New Motor Vehicle Dealership Ownership.
AS 45.25.150. Required Compensation For New Motor Vehicle Dealer Facilities.
- (a) Upon termination by the manufacturer or distributor, the manufacturer or distributor shall compensate the new motor
vehicle dealer for new motor vehicle dealer facilities a sum equivalent to the
- (1) rent for the unexpired term of the lease or 18 months, whichever period is shorter, if the new motor vehicle dealer is
leasing the new motor vehicle dealership facilities from a lessor other than the manufacturer or distributor; or
- (2) reasonable rental value of the new motor vehicle dealership facilities for 18 months or until the facilities are
leased or sold, whichever period is shorter, if the new motor vehicle dealer owns the new motor vehicle dealership
facilities; the sum may be paid in monthly installments at the election of the manufacturer or distributor.
- (b) This section does not relieve a new motor vehicle dealer of the obligation to mitigate damages under a lease, prevent
a manufacturer from occupying and using the new motor vehicle dealer's facilities while paying rent, or preclude a
manufacturer from negotiating a lease termination, sublease, or new lease.
- (c) This section does not apply to a termination for
- (1) insolvency of the new motor vehicle dealer or the filing of any petition by or against the new motor vehicle dealer
under a bankruptcy or receivership law;
- (2) failure of the new motor vehicle dealer to conduct its customary sales and service operations during its customary
business hours for seven consecutive business days;
- (3) conviction of the new motor vehicle dealer or its principal owners of a felony or a misdemeanor regardless of the
punishment if the crime involves theft, dishonesty, or false statement;
- (4) revocation of a license required for the new motor vehicle dealer to operate; or
- (5) a fraudulent misrepresentation by the new motor vehicle dealer to the manufacturer or distributor that is material to
the new motor vehicle dealer's agreement.
- (d) The payment required under (a) of this section is only required to the extent that the facilities were used for
activities under the franchise agreement and only to the extent the facilities were not leased for unrelated purposes.
- (e) If payment under (a) of this section is made, the manufacturer or distributor is entitled to possession and use of the
new motor vehicle dealership facilities for the period for which the payment is paid.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.