- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 44. State Government
- Chapter 33. Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
- Section 65. Regional Seafood Development Associations.
previous: Section 30
. - 44.33.060l Power Development. [Repealed, Sec. 10 Ch 79 SLA 1983].
next: Section 110
. Civil Air Patrol. [Repealed, E.O. No. 33 (1968). For Current Provisions, See AS 18.60.146
AS 44.33.065. Regional Seafood Development Associations.
- (a) The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development shall assist in and encourage the formation of a
qualified regional seafood development association for each seafood development region identified in (b) of this
section for the purpose of promoting and marketing Alaska seafood products harvested in the region. The commissioner
shall designate the first organization to apply and qualify under this subsection for recognition as the qualified
association for a region to be the qualified regional seafood development association for that seafood development
region if the commissioner determines that the organization
- (1) is established for the following purposes:
- (A) promotion of seafood and seafood by-products that are harvested in the region and processed for sale;
- (B) promotion of improvements to the commercial fishing industry and infrastructure in the seafood development region;
- (C) establishment of education, research, advertising, or sales promotion programs for seafood products harvested in the
- (D) preparation of market research and product development plans for the promotion of seafood and their by-products that
are harvested in the region and processed for sale;
- (E) cooperation with the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute and other public or private boards, organizations, or agencies
engaged in work or activities similar to the work of the organization, including entering into contracts for joint
programs of consumer education, sales promotion, quality control, advertising, and research in the production,
processing, or distribution of seafood harvested in the region;
- (F) cooperation with commercial fishermen, fishermen's organizations, seafood processors, the Alaska Fisheries Development
Foundation, the Fisheries Industrial Technology Center, state and federal agencies, and other relevant persons and
entities to investigate market reception to new seafood product forms and to develop commodity standards and future
markets for seafood products;
- (2) provides for representation of commercial fishing permit holders for each fishery in the region that is subject to a
seafood development tax levied under AS 43.76.350
- 43.76.399 on the board of directors of the
- (3) provides for membership in the organization by any commercial fisherman who holds a commercial fishing permit for a
fishery that is conducted in the region and by other persons and groups in the region who wish to be members of the
- (4) is organized as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of the state for the purpose of marketing and promoting seafood
products taken in the region and seafood products taken in fisheries subject to a seafood development tax levied under
- (b) Seafood development regions are established for each of the following regions of the state and are made up of the
designated commercial fishing management areas established by the Board of Fisheries in accordance with the boundaries
of those areas as adopted by the Board of Fisheries:
- (1) Southeast Alaska seafood development region - Southeastern Alaska area and Yakutat area;
- (2) Prince William Sound seafood development region - Prince William Sound area;
- (3) Cook Inlet seafood development region - Cook Inlet area;
- (4) Kodiak seafood development region - Kodiak area;
- (5) Alaska Peninsula seafood development region - Alaska Peninsula area;
- (6) Aleutian Islands seafood development region - Aleutian Islands area;
- (7) Chignik seafood development region - Chignik area;
- (8) Atka-Amlia Islands seafood development region - Atka-Amlia Islands area;
- (9) Bristol Bay seafood development region - Bristol Bay area;
- (10) Kuskokwim seafood development region - Kuskokwim area;
- (11) Yukon-Northern seafood development region - Yukon-Northern area and Kotzebue area;
- (12) Norton Sound-Port Clarence seafood development region - Norton Sound-Port Clarence area.
- (c) An organization may be designated as the qualified regional seafood development association for more than one seafood
- (d) A qualified regional seafood development association for a fishery may request state financial assistance from the
department to aid the seafood development programs of the association.
- (e) A qualified regional seafood development association requesting state financial assistance shall submit an annual
financial report to the department on a form provided by the department. The department may require that a qualified
regional seafood development association use a uniform system of accounting. A qualified regional seafood development
association requesting state assistance shall submit an annual budget to the department on or before a date specified
by the department.
- (f) The department may adopt regulations necessary to implement this section.
- (g) In this section, "fishery" has the meaning given in AS 16.43.990
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.