- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 43. Revenue and Taxation
- Chapter 31. Estate Tax Law of Alaska
- Section 11. Tax Upon Estates of Resident Decedents.
previous: Chapter 31
. Estate Tax Law of Alaska
next: Section 21
. Tax Upon Estates of Nonresident Decedents.
AS 43.31.011. Tax Upon Estates of Resident Decedents.
A tax is imposed upon the transfer of the estate of a person who, at the time of death, was a resident of this state,
the amount of which shall be computed as follows:
- (1) Determine the amount of the credit allowable under the applicable federal revenue Act for estate, inheritance, legacy,
and succession taxes actually paid to the several states.
- (2) Determine for each of the other states the amount of all constitutionally valid estate, inheritance, legacy, and
succession taxes, actually paid to each of the other states in respect to property owned by the decedent or subject to
these taxes as a part of or in connection with the decedent's estate.
- (3) Determine for each other state in which property is located that is owned by the decedent or subject to estate,
inheritance, legacy, or succession taxes as a part of or in connection with the decedent's estate the proportion of the
amount of the credit allowable under the applicable federal revenue Act for estate, inheritance, legacy, and succession
taxes actually paid to the several states, as the value of the property taxable in that state bears to the value of the
entire gross estate wherever situated.
- (4) The amount of the tax is the amount of the allowable credit as determined in (1) of this section less the sum of the
smaller figures of (2) or (3) of this section for each of the other states in which the decedent's property is
situated. For example: The amount of allowable credit under the federal Act is $10,000 (relating to (1) in this
Amount of Tax Proportion of Credit Smaller of
Actually Paid from Situs of Property (2) of (3)
(relating to (2) of (relating to (3) of of this
this section) this section) section
State X $3,000 10%--$1,000 $1,000
State Y $1,000 15%--$1,500 $1,000
The Alaska estate tax is $10,000 minus $2,000 equalling $8,000.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.