- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 43. Revenue and Taxation
- Chapter 5. Administration of Revenue Laws
- Section 220. Civil Penalties.
previous: Section 210
. Funds Received Under the Federal Mineral Leasing Act. [Repealed, Sec. 70 Ch 14 SLA 1987].
next: Section 225
AS 43.05.220. Civil Penalties.
- (a) Five percent shall be added to a tax for each 30-day period or fraction of the period during which the taxpayer fails
to file at the time or times required by law or regulation a return or report, or pay the full amount of the tax, or a
portion or a deficiency of the tax, as finally determined by the department and required by this title, unless it is
shown that the failure is due to a reasonable cause and not to wilful neglect. The penalty may not exceed 25 percent
in the aggregate. The penalty is computed only on the unpaid balance of the tax liability as determined by the
department. The department shall prescribe by regulation circumstances which constitute reasonable cause for purposes
of this section.
- (b) If a tax deficiency or part of a tax deficiency is due to negligence or intentional disregard of law or regulation
without intent to defraud, five percent of the total amount of the tax deficiency shall be assessed, collected, and
paid in the same manner as a tax deficiency.
- (c) If a tax deficiency or part of a tax deficiency is due to fraud, a civil fraud penalty equal to 50 percent of the tax
due or $500, whichever is greater, shall be added to the tax. This penalty is in addition to penalties determined under
(a) or (b) of this section.
- (d) A person required to collect or account for a tax imposed by this title who wilfully fails to collect the tax or to
truthfully account for and pay over the tax, or wilfully attempts to evade payment of the tax is, in addition to other
penalties provided by law, liable for a civil penalty equal to the total amount of the tax not collected, not accounted
for, not paid over, or evaded. The penalty imposed by this subsection is in place of the tax not paid to the state.
This penalty shall be paid upon demand by the commissioner or a designee of the commissioner, and shall be assessed and
collected in the same manner as taxes are assessed and collected under this title.
- (e) A penalty imposed by this section shall be collected at the same time, in the same manner, and as a part of the
original tax. However, if the original tax is paid before neglect or fraud is discovered, the penalty shall be
collected in the same manner as the original tax. Interest may not be collected on a penalty imposed by this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.